1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Ebay and returns (small ethical dilemma)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fix-the-spade, 18 Dec 2012.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I've just received a computer bought off Ebay and... it's great except for one thing.

Initially it worked fine, then after 4-ish hours it appear to have bricked itself. Suddenly re-booted, then failed to boot, the gaps between restarts getting rapidly faster until it can't even POST or enter the Bios.
    I've tracked the fault down to one of the (ADATA 4GB ddr3) Dimms, having removed everything else, used different hdd/psu this is the only part that generates a failure.

Which brings me to the ethical question bit.

Do I pursue the seller for the cost of a new dimm? As an Ebay dispute it's pretty much nailed on, but at the same time I don't believe s/he's set out to do me as the fault wasn't immediately apparent.

Alternatively I can ask him/her for their proof of purchase and go for the RMA. The machine is only a few months old and the RAM is most definitely faulty, even if I am not the first owner ADATA's shipped a dead stick.

Or do I just suck it up and buy some new RAM?

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Contact them and let them know, let them offer some resolution, like partial refund or whatever. It's what I always do in such situation and most of the time seller will care care of it in some satisfactory way. If they act like a child then file a dispute, or if you don't want to be bothered suck it up and get your own replacement.

3. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Suck it up and but new RAM which is pennies these days and save yourself a bucket of shite.

4. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

It's your right to get a replacement RAM stick from the seller/equivalent you both agree on. Go for it if you like. Saves you like £15 or whatever 4GB DDR3 costs these days.

Like Lysol said, let them know the issue and offer a resolution for them. Then see what they say.

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I had this recently

Was a crucial dimm and had a lifetime warranty so just sent it off myself :)