1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development [Eclipse] Modifying the debugger perspective

Discussion in 'Software' started by Randland, 17 Feb 2003.

1. Randland

Randland What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

I am currently working on a project for my University that involves creating a plugin for Eclipse that displays the stack in a more user friendly way for beginning Computer Science classes to learn how Java handles method invocation. I have been pouring over the source code for pretty much every plugin that is included with the IDE, but I have only gotten clues as to where examples of this functionality is.:geek:

There has been mention of a class called org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.views.launch.LaunchView in the org.eclipse.debug.ui package (plugin.xml), but I can not find the source code for this class anywhere in the package.

I have also read through the eclipse help system for help. And although well written, I could not find specific instances of either accessing this information from the debugger, or where the code for the current debugger is located. I googled "DebugView Eclipse" with no luck.:wallbash:

Does anyone have experience with the Debug view in the Debug perspective that could give me a hand with accessing this information? It does not have to be very in-depth, all I need to do is to either create my own version of the standard debugger preferred) or get access to the stack and variables via a new view.

Thanks a lot:)

2. Randland

Randland What's a Dremel?

Well it looks like I got the source code up and have been looking through it. My professors are out of town for the week to a conference (in Reno, lucky ba$tards :D) so I guess I will just have to mess around for a while to see if I can get a prototype running.

By the way, I would recommend that anyone that is interested in high level programming (Java, C++, C#, etc.) try the Eclipse IDE if you have not already. It is a very interesting approach to make a catchall IDE that is in effect all plugins, and due to its open source nature and the fact that it is very open to third party plugins, it should become a standard in schools and possibly many companies as the standard IDE for developement.

http://www.eclipse.org