Notebooks Eee Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klutch4891, 12 Jul 2008.

1. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

Ive been looking at the Eee 901 just because of its battery life (I want to use it to take notes at college), but I don't want XP or the type of linux it comes with, so is it possible to boot from USB to put a new OS onto the Eee? Input from owners of any of the Eee's is appreciated, as I doubt they changed it.

2. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Yep it is possible. You have the choice of preserving the existing system in the read-only partition and installing a new system in the read-write unionfs partition, wiping the whole disk and starting again, or booting from USB. I chose to wipe the disk completely and start again and install Arch GNU/Linux.

3. klutch4891

Alright thanks. Im trying to decide between Ubuntu and BackTrack.

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Sorry to wade in late, but I have found this site in the UK that really explores the eeePC. Spend some time looking there and especially in their forumns. These guys have diagrams, schematics - everything. They do eee mods like we do full PC mods.
    Just a hint:
    http://www.eeeuser.com/

John

5. klutch4891

Wow. good tip. thanks. I dont plan on doing any modding to it for awhile though, except to maybe throw in a 2 gig stick of RAM.

6. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Having run both on my 701, I'd go with Ubuntu if you're going to use it at school. I've got the latest version installed on the ssd and backtrack3 final on a 4gb sdhc card. Best of both worlds that way. I also really recommend the 2Gb ram upgrade if you're going to run anything other than the stock os.

7. klutch4891

Thats a good idea. Ill keep that in mind thanks.

8. Brom

Brom What's a Dremel?