1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Email & FTP woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreatOldOne, 11 Apr 2002.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I've got several tesco.net email addresses and my tesco webspace that that I'd like to keep, now I'm no longer on dial-up and have ADSL via PIPEX

The problem is, that although I can retrieve mail from the tesco.net POP3 servers for each of the accounts, I can't send via the SMTP server.:(

And I can't connect to the tesco FTP server to upload pics etc.:sigh:

The PIPEX stuff us OK, though.

You may be asking - "why bother GOO, use your PIPEX addresses and web space." I would, but the missus dosen't wan't to change her business cards again and mail her entire army of friends and relations with the new address - and if she has to, i'll be in the dog house again ;)

Has anyone done this in the past?

Thanks in advance,

GOO

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Most isp don't allow you to send mail unless your on their network to prevent spamming.

3. Adam

Adam Minimodder

You can still use the pipex smtp server, just enter your email address in outlook as your tesco address, but set up the pipex pop/smtp as a second email account and send using that.

OR you can run your own SMTP server, that's what I do.

4. GreatOldOne

Thanks adam - seems to be working now....

5. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

yup, if you switch ISPs, just change the SMTP server entry from smtp.oldisp.net to smtp.newisp.net - and leave the POP3 server as pop.oldisp.net

FTP on the other hand will be a problem, you'll have to dial up to tesco to upload new stuff.

I reccomend uploading a 'meta-refresh' index page to your tesco webspace which will instantly redirect to your new pipex space.

if you think that sounds like a good idea and you don't know how to do it, post again and we'll tell you...

6. GreatOldOne

I probably won't use one, as there's nothing that important on the tesco web space

However, I'm curious - how do yo set one up?

Ta,

GOO

Tags: