1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Empire: TW - Demo released 20/02/2009

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by impar, 5 Sep 2008.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I've concluded it's just a poor demo tbh, I've played a lot of games on this computer and while it's starting to show its age, nothing has ever taken that long to load.

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

It reads the hard drive for maybe 15 seconds, then waits for 45 secs, same with loading a map, reads HD then waits, reads it again, takes ages though :S

3. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

Wow, looks like there's a lot to play on huh.. thanks for the links guys.

4. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

If it comes to March 4th and I still haven't amassed £35 to buy the Special Edition from GAME. I may have to shoot myself.

Need. This. Game.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Glad I'm not the only one with problems, sounds like you guys are having the exact same experience I am.

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

I'm having no problems running the Demo. But I think it's a considerably early build though, so the final release should have these issues ironed out.

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Only found time to play yesterday night.
    Managed a Close Victory at sea (lost the first-rate) and a Clear Victory in land.

The only problem I have is the loading times, apart from that it runs well.
    Really appreciate the full interface options, much better than editing through Notepad.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I love the gameplay - the sea battles will be worth buying the game for tbh.

I managed a close victory on that one, I lost a couple of the 3rd rate ships and the 1st rate was quite heavily damaged after being gang-banged by 4 french 2nd-rate ships.

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

I got raged on the sea battle... Fun, but something I'm gonna have to get used to.

The Land battle I win everytime. Been a while since I've played Total War properly though, so it might take me sometime to get used to managing all the units again. I've only managed close victories so far. All the muskets make it quite a different game to play too.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I got owned in the sea battle, grouped my ships in a line formation then stupidly clicked attack on a single ship. Formation was completely destroyed, should have just given them a move order with fire at will on.

Playing PotBS should help a bit when it comes to tactics.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

In the sea battle, anyone tried making two groups based on the different speeds?
    One for slower/heavier ships, another for faster/lighter ships?

Been using that tactic since the Revenge of the Crescent Hawks.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think we found that was usually quite a good tactic in PotBS, although anything line worthy should be in the main line, no matter what the speed (since it's all quite similar and there isn't an incredible difference in manoeuvrability), while faster frigates/sloops/etc that are more manoeuvrable stay out of the main line and harass the enemy. In PotBS the small ships would act independently though in this case it was a lot easier since each ship was controlled by an individual player, so having a main line and a fast line would be a good compromise on total war.

Man I miss that game sometimes, shame I was in a mostly american crew, they were great guys but being up at a time where I could play with them got horrible.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Sounds awesome :D Can't wait for my copy to arrive, should be here tomorrow as it was posted early this morning.

15. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Woo looking forward to the download tomorrow!

I hope I can preload it tonight though

16. impar

impar Minimodder

17. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

It took me 17 hours to download from steam... the graphics are incredibly pretty though!

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I suck at this game XD

One of my fleets has also gotten stuck and won't move.

19. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I'm getting this today, and wave farewell to any form of social life at least for this weekend. Also I have acquired the prescribed quantities of wine and caffeine to see me through the wee hours of the night. Really looking forward to getting my virtual hands dirty and shaking up the status quo of the world. :D

Spent the past week-and-a-half replaying Rome, which was equally great this time around, and see many sleep-deprived days in my future. The only problem is, I still have to finish FEAR 2 and Fallout 3 - but there's time. :D

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Been playing a game as the Maratha Confederacy, quite easy, I thought the advisor was joking when she said the Mughal empire was weak and collapsing but they had hardly any troops. The only thing which really delayed me from wiping them out in a handful of turns was the fact they had a big navy blocking my ports that I couldn't afford to counter and any cities I captured I had to stay in for a bit to stop them rebelling. Right now control all of India apart from the Dutch colony (would rather buy this one than go to war with them) and the Persian one in the north west.

Just consolidating my power at the moment, making sure all my regions are happy, they're almost finished growing now too.

Since I wiped out the Mughals it seems the European powers desperately want a slice of India and are willing to trade tons of technology and land to get one province. No filthy European will ever own Indian soil again though (especially since it's part of my victory conditions).

I think my next step will be to wipe out the once mighty Persian Empire.

Tags: