1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy costs - phew!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Shirty, 29 Mar 2023.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

OK, so our old fixed tariff ran out last month, just as I was getting into stride at >50 million PPD.

Just seen the new bill, over £700 a month at current usage :duh:

I was expecting it to be high as we're already a pretty high-usage household (was on about £280/month before, on a very favourable fixed rate), but that is crazy. Over half of the energy use in the house is folding.

I can't sustain this and look SWMBO in the eye, so, as I had kind of predicted, I'm going to have to scale it right back to a single card, just sooner than I thought. Once energy prices return to something resembling normality, I'll see where I'm at.

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As I'm such a good friend I'll give those cards a good home if you'd like :naughty:

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Part of me really fears this is the new normal... Like VAT being 'temporarily' increased to 20% in 2008...

4. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Ouch!
    Let's hope that prices start coming down ... but it might require a lot of hope!

5. Shirty

Managed to clear in excess of £3,000 from selling the cards very quickly mind, which certainly covers the overage on my bill!

The bad news for the team is that the only cards I have left now are a pair of 1650 Supers in the kids' PCs, and a 1050 and GT 730 in my two (I game on PS5 currently). :hehe:

I'll be back once sanity prevails!

Arboreal likes this.
  6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

1650 Cheesecake! I could possibly afford to fire mine up

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I think you'll be waiting until some time after the next general election...

8. DocJonz

Not sure sanity has prevailed (or will ever!), but I noticed you've added some extra electrical heating to your house this last week ... :winking:
    Welcome back.

9. Shirty

Lol, I'm waiting for an oil delivery so thought I'd spin up a little space heater :thumb:

It also always troubled me that I'd stopped short of 10bn!

Arboreal likes this.
  10. DocJonz

I think you'll hit 10Bn at about the same time I should hit 50Bn :thumb:

Arboreal likes this.
  11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Got an email from our electricity provider, saying that there was a better electricity tariff that we could be on that would save us money...
    Log on to their website, take a look at their tariffs, and notice that their recommended "cheap" tariff would actually work out to cost £50 more each month.

This is obviously some kind of bespoke energy provider maths which explains how British Gas managed to multiply its profits by 10 times...:grr:

adidan likes this.
  12. DocJonz

They have 'special' calculators :hehe:

I have been with some of the energy companies that are no more, and when Ofgem moved me to a new provider with 'preferential rates', guaranteed it was more expensive than any of the other tarriffs the new provider offered(!) ... oh, and they would not let you switch to any other tarriff!
    Learnt quickly after the first time it happened - so, second time, I moved supplier the same day I heard the news break about the company going under.

Now, with the current energy market, everyone is shafted ... well, in the UK we are anyway.