PSU Enermax European kettle lead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 3Dbuild, 20 Nov 2010.

1. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Glad it's sorted. I'd be interested to know when you get it, if it's a custom/branded cable, or just a generic one.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That PSU will last you a long time... :)

3. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

I think it will be their “own” brand, but I am not 100% sure so I will let you know when it arrives.

I was looking at getting a static wristband today, but there are two types; with or without a plastic plug to go into the wall socket. Not sure if this is the right section of the forum to ask a question about this, but which type would be best to use please?

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I've beendoing this a long time and never use one. Never killed anything so far. Just be sure to earth yourself regularly on something, like touching your taps or such :) Failing that some nice thin cotton gloves are better. If you wore a static band it may make you complacent. Just try not to touch and of the perts on the PCB...

Last edited: 23 Nov 2010
  5. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Ok, thanks for the tip

I could probably build it in the utility room, which has a kitchen work surface, vinyl floor and a sink - its a bit narrow but there should be enough room. I originally planned on building it on our glass top dinning table with the room being carpeted, but im not sure if its a good idea here?

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

No problem :) Just take your time with it.

7. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Thanks 3D, I'll be interested to see which it is.

As for earthing, I've never used a strap. However, when fiddling with a half built machine, or upgrades, leave it plugged into the wall but turned off. This should earth the chassis through the 13amp socket.

8. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

No problem okenobi, i will keep you updated.

Ok, in the past i have done that when doing basic upgrades on my PC

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The case wont be earthed due to double insulation of the PSU, none of the motal pers will be in any kind of contact with anything high voltage... And to do this your need to wall socket to be turned on, which is a bad plan...

10. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Ah well! :D

I've never broken anything. Got told that about 10 years ago and been doing it ever since.

Thanks for the correction!

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Static is a much-over-considered about subject tbh. Has anyone actually killed some parts from pure static while putting together an unplugged rig? Doubt it, they're usually DOA/faulty parts or the builder did something spesh like leaving the PSU switched on and not connecting things properly.

12. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

The only time I have seen static being a problem was when I was a electrian in a city office block and the frames of the office's was made from aluminum and some woman kept getting shocks as she walked past the frames it turned out it was her nylon knickers was creating static as she walked LOL
    So the moral of the story is dont wear nylon knickers when building a computer :hehe:

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I have a Neoprene top which is horrible for static...

14. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Well actually yes they are under obligation to send one because if it was bought in the U.K then it should come with a U.K lead!

I bought one from EBuyer and mine also came with an E.U lead! But EBuyer sent me a U.K kettle lead free of charge.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Why should it?

16. Ravenheart

Well that's obvious, if it's bought in the U.K and you expect to be able to use it whoever it's purchased from and if you buy something in the U.K from a U.K company you expect it to have a U.K plug with it!!

Then it's up to them to get onto Enermax and inform them that HELLO your PSU's sell in many more countries than just the E.U!!

17. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Well then, the only conclusion is that seeing as it is now EOL suppliers sourced them from EU stock to fill demand...

Last edited: 24 Nov 2010
  19. Ravenheart

Wish I could agree with you Bloody_Pete but I bought mine from EBuyer over a year ago on the 20th of November 2009 so doesn't explain why I got an EU plug instead of a U.K one, needless to say though I got one sent free of charge so I was happy with that.

20. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

All Electrical equipment sold in the UK must be supplied with a power lead conforming to the correct standards with a plug fitted. IIRC it's the retailers responsibility, though I need to double check.

I'll post the correct details of the act/BS as soon as I get a chance to look it up.