1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic: "PC piracy drove us to consoles"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 May 2010.

1. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

It has been said already, but piracy is being used as an excuse where lazyness is the real problem.

I've seen a number of tweets lately from Xbox gamers suggesting that the Call of Duty: Brown Oops trailer looks awesome - this is why Epic have moved to consoles - because it's a market that will buy literally any old rubbish.

2. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

NuTech raises some interesting points and it is a good chance that they update their own game such as TF2 to keep people interested in Steam and attract new Steam users but it is a bit of a stretch to assume that this loses them money. No matter what the input of other game developers may be they do not work at Valve and they don't know the actual figures or the structure of the company.

I am a PC gamer but I am also studying software engineering and I have come to understand the developing large software products of any kind is not easy to do well. The people who have their money in these multi-million dollar game development projects want to see the best return on their money which is currently focusing on the console market and that is a fact of business.

The PC is still a big market but polishing the UI/Controls and ensuring stability across a wide variety of PC hardware takes more effort than making that experience polished on a static hardware configuration such as any of our current gen consoles. If you make more money on the console side of your business then that is where you are going to focus your efforts. The developers who then make a PC port as an after thought see the poor sales of their product and then are quick to blame piracy rather than looking at what made their game terrible (UT3, looking at you Epic).

But I don't see why people want developers to stay PC only. I mean they are companies which need to make money. What I don't understand from studios like Epic games is why they cannot do both PC and console.

TL;DR I tried to write too much while drunk and ended up with an undirected wall o' text

3. Bayaz

Bayaz What's a Dremel?

I think EPIC just want a bit of attention by releasing this statement and it looks like it worked

4. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

Can you please explain what's wrong with the Black Ops trailer, and how it would be immeasurably more awesome if it were a PC exclusive? As an added challenge, please try to do it without using the words "lazy", "idiots", "morons", or any of the other insults thrown around here.

5. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Everytime EPIC speaks it's annoying, OK, that's fine, we already know why you focus on Console, but there is no reason you can't do PC and console like most devs (Especially a once PC giant in epic), surely they are making enough money on console as it is.

Piracy is an issue, but blaming piracy is a load of BS.

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Didn't EPIC make like one or two good games and a whole bunch of crappy ones for pc?

7. mastorofpuppetz

Yes, kind of like ID. Id has not made a good game in a decade.

8. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

bottomline is their lazy & they just dont want to do it. it costs money to hire additional programmers/testers to make sure that the games work on both platforms & they dont want to put in the extra cash. even if they were to port the game to pc it would still take programmers & testers.

but one of the worst things in PC gaming is console ports - a prime example of a console port is MW2 or Halo 2,

if they want to exit the PC platform that badly id wish they'd stfu n get on with it. nobody cares about them. UT09 will always be the best edition ive always played - oldskool, fast paced & utterly chaotic. I hate how slow multiplayer in the new games feel, & those of you that cant tell the difference really didnt play UT09 enough. I still class it as an amazing game with the amount of mods & maps you can still download for it. it will keep you entertained for hours. one of the best mods i have played with is the 'crotchshot' mod, i think it came out for UT03 & 04. it was so hilarious.

Last edited: 20 May 2010
  9. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

ID's new game; Rage, is looking really quite....... "Epic" though.

10. somewhereoveryonda

somewhereoveryonda You'll never know when to buy!

yeah I agree.. It''s an absolute joke really. PC has to be the best platform for gaming.. so why the hell take the games away from PC!

11. mastorofpuppetz

Yes it is, but many games look great in trailers and the like, we shall see. I hope it is great. just saying it has been a really, really long time ID has made much of anything worth while.

12. Dragunover

Dragunover What's a Dremel?

Durr, crytek and epic make shitty games, people don't give two shits therefore don't pay for two shits.

13. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Fraggin when allowed :P

False Data everywhere... Console sales are huge partkly because people like the buffer of the second hand market. If the product is a short game, crap or they just dont like it, users can always trade it in, thus reducing the game cost in real terms. History has taught us PC gamers to be wary of new but unfinshed, buggy and lazy console ports so they seek demos or want to satisfy themselves the product is ok before purchasing, as there is NO second hand market for PC games. Most of the PC Gamers i know who have pirated games fall into two categories Data whores (who couldn't care what the game IS let alone knowing if they actually want it) and gamers wanting to try out a game to see if it is rig efficient.

I have not pirated a game in over 3 years now, and no intention to, as i do believe in supporting the game devs, but the quality of most PC games at the time of release is shocking. The excuse for testing on the miriad of platform setups is a valid one, but could be overcome with more standardised sys dev kits.

14. hardski

hardski What's a Dremel?

Virtually all games have to be cracked on PC, i do all my gaming on this format.
    Once your 360 has been flashed its a piece of cake. I have both console and PC but the excuse that piracy is only killing PC gaming is rubbish. I get 25 discs for £10 so if you play on LIVE and do get banned just buy a new console with the money you save from buying games lol. By the way just stealth patch your games before you burn and you wont get banned.

15. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

What do you mean that there is no reason they can't do both, they do, do both. They're not console exclusive.

16. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

The fact is that a game cost nearly the same price to the companies once it has been develloped. Therefore it is smarter to sell 100 at 20£ than 20 at 60£. That is what valve is doing. Then some companies prefer to sell 20 at 60£ and then they thy arn't making money and blame piracy.
    But why would you pay a huge price a game with no supports (besides overpriced DLC). when you can have good game updated. Plus an updated multiplayer game means a game that is still played, wich is another good reason to invest in it.

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I don't meant to beat a dead horse because that's just not nice, but feel you left out a very important part:

Like the article says, that's an increase in income just to be clear. To answer any questions about what impact the lower price has, despite the increases sales. Though to be fair, this article never explicitly states that Valve is actually profitting off of anything. These 300+% increases in sales could just mean they aren't losing as much, though that is quite unlikely.

Interesting thing is that it seems to imply that Steam's success actually rides on the success of Valve's games. Could just be the wording and some info being left unrevealed, but the numbers show increases in Steam memberships as a result of people wanting Valve/Steamworks games during updates/sales. That goes against the idea that spreading Steam is the initial action and increased sales is the reaction.

18. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Why thank you! To be honest, I stopped replying to Nutech because it was getting very tiresome when he constantly and seemingly deliberately misunderstood what I was saying, and claimed that I was saying things that I wasn't.

He's seemingly been shut up though either way :D but yeah, I felt like I was wasting my time when everything I said was quoted out of context by him.

I'm not sure if he's an idiot, or a troll.

19. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Absolutely no chance they're losing money on it.

That's where they've been very clever with Steam. Think about it, every Valve game they sell, costs them nothing but bandwidth.

The game as a "Product" doesn't exist to them until you purchase it, it's not like they've made up copies at a pressing plant and have to sell each copy to avoid making a loss.

In technically terms, you're basically getting a copy "made" for you each time you buy a new game. That ensures maximal profit while costing nothing but bandwith costs to supply the game. As for the profit on a per game basis, I think that's something that she be ignored, as they're not selling "SKUs", they seemingly look at their profit on a per title basis, it doesn't matter to them that they made £100,000 from 10,000 sales of the game, or 20,000 sales of the game, they still made £100,000 on the same product, which they made years ago and have more than made their costs back on developing it.

They made their costs on their games years ago, they made their profit on their games years ago too, any sale between 6 months after the game was released, until now, is huge profits.

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I totally agree that they're making a profit, only being a Devil's Advocate by pointing out that it never specifically says profit :D

It's just not entirely true that any money made from now on goes straight to their pockets as one huge net profit. As it says, sales go up 100% on updates and that increase almost certainly pays off any costs and then some, but there is a cost to the updates. Any game with patches and updates will have a continued cost to maintain until it is abandoned, unless it's run by a community of unpaid players (such as Counter Strike: Source and its vast pool of community developed content). Of course, without any actual numbers coming from Valve it's impossible to say how much an update costs and just how much of an actual profit they make in the end off of each update. And then there's the games like Half Life that aren't really updated because they're singleplayer, those are more like you were saying where anything after initial development is pure profit.

Tags: Add Tags