1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EVGA launches custom-binned GTX 980 Ti Kingpin Edition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. zimano

zimano What's a Dremel?

Does this mean if you were buying a vanilla 980 Ti you'd be best off avoiding EVGA? The cream of the crop will be reserved for the K|ngpin editions leaving a pool of chips with less overclocking potential compared to their rivals.

3. Baguette

Baguette What's a Dremel?

Maybe but other manufacturers also have "higher than high" end cards, and will also want to reserve the silicon for those as well, and in similar numbers as they compete in the same segment as this one.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

First of all, by asking the question you've already fallen for the marketing BS that is ASIC quality.

It's just another cynical way dreamt up by the money grabbing suits at EVGA to fleece idiots with more money than brains.

I have two 970's one with a ASIC rating at 78% the other at 65%...both of them will quite happily boost to 1480Mhz on the core and 7.5Ghz on the memory and stay there at less than 75c on full load.

5. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Why would you want higher ASIC quality though for a card that's aimed at the extreme clocker?

Its a kingpin card which should mean that crap ASIC quality would yield better clocks on LN2 etc and as such be what the customer its aimed at is after?

Great ASIC is better for air.

So, has the above changed or am I missing something?

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Seems like a lot of extra dosh for not very much.

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

So they're just speed binning? What's new about that? Is it simply the fact that they are putting an arbitrary percentage number on it?
    How do you know the magic ASIC rating of these cards?
    Now I'm confused - poorer chips are better for LN2??

8. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Yes. It even says this when you hover over the bios section on GPU-Z explaining ASIS.

Probably a load of BS but not ideal to have all of the contradictions

9. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

"DOES NOT guarantee any specific overclock performance"

A certain type of personality will see this disclaimer/"we're shafting you" and immediately ignore it, already their card is on the desk, light from the screen making the number glow as if Orcs skulked nearby.

This is the silicon lottery monetised, and hugely over-valued, to the expense of the customer even if you don't buy one. An 80% ASIC is not really worth a premium, 95%, perhaps. And it's exactly what would be happening otherwise, only now all of EVGAs other cards have had a shadow cast over them.

No such thing as free money, EVGA, you've simply stolen prospects from every other card you sell and in my mind made the likelihood of getting a 55 or 60 percent-er more likely, why should I get another card from you if I have to pay the difference between GPU tiers to not get an increased chance of an LN2 nuts wet dream, all because you were greedy and wanted to milk people and potentially have hugely distorted second hand values, again hitting your customers.

Poor show, EVGA, poor show, I'm not getting my 980 Ti from you.