1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

explorer.exe halting on boot?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by metarinka, 18 Oct 2008.

1. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I've got this wierd situation that has me stumped
    boot windows as normal
    it will get past the splash screen but it just sits with the desktop background and will never progress with windows loading no matter how long I wait. I can bring up task manager in which just the barebones services are running. I can get into windows by killing explorer.exe then running a new instance of it.

any clue why explorer would do this and what the fix is? it's annoying because if windows starts under this method, startup services aren't loaded and some don't seem to want to work right afterwards . I can't think of anything that brought this on computer has been running fine for awhile.

windows xp
    amd x2 3800
    1 gig ram
    nothing else fancy

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It sounds quite similar to an issue I had - explorer crashing on boot, although it did get past a blank background. Try uninstalling some devices (things like mouse etc), one by one, and see if it fixes it.

3. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I'vew had this too with one of the PC's at work, just did a repair install and it seemed to sort it's self out.

4. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

run scandisk
    spybot
    clear out startup rubbish
    try windows repair first

Tags: