1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explosions at Fuel Depot in Hemel

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Darv, 11 Dec 2005.

1. Ant

Ant What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys, Wow what a mess, I got woken up this at 6, by the huge bang! Here is some pics out of my window, and road this morning!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ant

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Wow...looks like something out of War of the Worlds

3. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Ouch, I bet that hurt the Ozone...

4. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

I was staying at my parents last night, about 10 miles awa as the crow flies. Woke me up and frightened the **** out of me

5. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Some awesome photos, Really does look like a warzone!

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

It looks like somebody dropped a nuke :blah:

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

not a bit.

8. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Um... A nuke looks more like this:

[​IMG]

Big white mushroom cloud. That blast reminds me of some of the pics from when Mt. St. Helens blew its top off.

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

As of 5am GMT, the BBC News website is saying the count is now 20+ tanks at approx 3million imperial gallons each = approx 60million gallons of fuel (72million US gallons)

And it's still burning, probably all day today! :jawdrop:

10. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Just been watching the news, firefighters are planning to cover the blaze with a 250million litre blanket of foam. But they say the intense heat could just vapourise it. After that, they can only let 60 million gallons of fuel burn. Then it's gonna start raining and there is possibility of acid rain.

Its more of a catastrophe than accident tbh.

11. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

Rain would be a bad thing for me, As I'm slightly down hill from the depot and curantly the smoke is quite high in the sky above me, if if starts raining I would imagine that I'm going to get showered in soot, that and I'm not sure if my roofs been damaged and the insurance inspector isn't due to at least 24hours so I may end up with a sooty soggy loft.. :(

12. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

holy sh**!!!!!!

13. akanekal

akanekal What's a Dremel?

amen to that sir...

the pics look like that warehouse that was burned down in thurrock a while back... i was stuck in traffic for 6 hours after that....
    i personally didnt feel or hear anything from this explosion where im at (gillingham, kent)

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not only that, but in extreme fires water actually fuels the flames because the water molecules are chemically spilt into native hydrogen and oxygen, which provides oxygen to the fire increasing it's ferocity.

15. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: looks like Irak or something...scarry m8 :worried:

16. dom_

dom_ --->

also i think we have all seen the pics of what happens when you put water on a chip pan fire. i would imagine a similar effect if it was a large enough amount.

17. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I did think it was like a gaint chip pan fire, and what they really need a some helicopters with a massive wet tea towl and we'd be sorted,

In all seriouseness I'm not sure how things are going, there's still a lot of smoke, but it's not lighting up they sky like it was last night so I can only assume it's dying down. The lake they've been using for a water supply is at the bottom of my street and is looking a whole lot shallower than it was a few days ago.

The insurance man did come, but after dark so there coming to have a look at the roof again tommorrow, but he said they'd pay out for the damage to the paster and the front door which is a plus, Only problem with the front door is the place we were going to buy the new one from is on the industrail estate... which is closed because of the explosion :wallbash:

18. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Firefighters have been temporarily withdrawn from the site, 12 of the 20 tanks have been put out, however there is one very volitile tank, according to BBC News 24 this tank alone will produce a bigger explosion than any of the ones which have occured since yesterday.

:eeek: That's how severe the situation is. My mum told me earlier that one of her friend's just moved into his new house less than a month ago, living 1/2 mile from the depot, all his doors and windows were blown out. Nasty.

19. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Not to mention the burning hydrogen... There's a reason it's used for rocket fuel.

Or the giant car-bomb assassination in Lebanon...

20. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

When I learned chemistry that was a strongly endothermic reaction, so it would still calm things down overall.

Water + Hydrocarbon + Heat -> Carbon monoxide + carbon dioxide + hydrogen + methane.

Same effect as peeing on a barbecue - blue flame IME. :rock: