1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks External 56k 10/100 modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yo-DUH_87, 22 Mar 2002.

1. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Hello! I think this is the first time I've needed help (gulp), I need to humble myself (humble, humble, uggggggg!!).

Do you guys know of an external 56k modem (yeah, I can't get DSL or cable, stupid phone company :mad: ) that interfaces with the computer by eathernet 10/100? I want to attach it to a router and distribute the <sarcasim tone="smothering"> Power </sarcasim> of my connection to all my other computers.

A D-Link would be nice, but anything goes!

Thanks!

2. Adam

Adam Minimodder

I once saw advertised a modem with built in router. I think it was about £100, but I can't remember where sorry.

3. Yo-DUH_87

That's OK! I do that too!

4. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

A while back a company called On-Ramp made such a device...it had a 56K modem built in (expandable to 4 total) with a 4 port hub. It wasn't too fancy and it wasn't cheap either... I did a quick search and can't find them any more :miffed: They may have gone under.

I accomplish the same thing with a 486 Linux box dialing up and then sharing that blazing dial up speed to the rest of the machines via NAT and IPTABLES. Local telco sucks rocks here too.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2002
  5. Yo-DUH_87

I am currently using similar meathods (a 700 MHz p3 though, not a 486 linux), but I want to free up that computer, and have an automated device to do it.

It is so anoying, I live in the US, can't get DSL, and cable is just out of reach! Cable internet is due soon, but not yet :(

Thanks for the help, though!

Signing out...

6. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

Wow that's a lot of overkill for a NAT box :hehe:

I know the feeling about the dialups... I've got two whole options... ananlog phone line... or a 384K frac. Frame Relay.. I'd take the frac. but they want $950/month for the line! They are stone cold drunk! Looking into a possible 400K sat. downlink (using dialup for outbound)... its a maybe deal... The price of living in the boonies i guess... but at least i can target shoot and deer hunt in my backyard :lol:

7. pszaro

pszaro What's a Dremel?

8. Yo-DUH_87

Dakar, it is alot of overkill for a server, but it also functions as file server, print server, game server, etc. But it is also the only box with an avalible IRQ address for the modem :( I do have a junkey 200 MHz AMD that might serve as server, but it is still lacking parts (I need to find an old AT PSU and box) :sigh:

I could get a ISDN, but I don't want to pay $70 per month for less than double a 56k modem. AT&T is extending their cable internet services to our area late this year, but there are so many people that would sign up that the bandwidth would be <56k (I heard that cable starts at 100 MBs, but if you add another user, you have to share, so you only get 50 MBs, then another user, 33 MBs, and so on). Satalite is an option, but I manage a website, and upload time is important as well :(

Edit: thanks, pszaro, I think you just found a solution!

Signing out...

Last edited: 28 Mar 2002
  9. pszaro

pszaro What's a Dremel?

10. Yo-DUH_87

Thanks again!

Signing out...

11. xmanica

xmanica What's a Dremel?

If you only want to share an internet connection inside a LAN, and you have an internal modem, no external modem is needed. Windows has Internet connection sharing that can allow you to share a 56k connection on your LAN. All you need to do is configure one computer as the one that actually connects to the internet, and configure the others as clients. Go to the add/remove programs control panel, then the windows setup tab. Highlight internet tools and click on details (this is all done on the server computer). check internet connection sharing, then click ok, and ok again. It should install, and ask to make a client configuration disk. Make the disk, then use it on all the other computers you want connected. It should work fine... it has in my LAN. hope this helps...

12. Yo-DUH_87

That's what I am currently doing, but I am wanting to free up that computer for gaming :lol: I am hoping to get this all et up, so that if cable internet comes to my area, all I'd need to do is replace the 56k external modem with the cable modem, and there ya go!

Signing out...

13. xmanica

xmanica What's a Dremel?

o... yeah... well ok. makes sense. well, then, I guess you know what you're doin heheh. well, good idea, nd hope it works out.:D

14. Yo-DUH_87

Thanks, I do to!

Signing out...

15. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

Netgear do one for about £150

I've also seen some somewhere (alas i cannot remember where) that come in two flavours :

1: with 1x internal modem and 1x serial port
    2: with 4x serial ports

you add modem(s) to the serial ports and can get extra bandwidth on demand.

can't remember who made those though,

The 3Com or the Netgear are the best ones to get.

16. Yo-DUH_87

thanks :lol: I've gotten way more help from you guys than the guys at the electroncis store!

Signing out...

Tags: