1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding External PSU questions and ideas...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by toyomatt84, 8 Jul 2004.

1. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Well, I'll need to have an external PSU with the system I am building, simply because there is a lack of space in the case I am using. I was curious as to many things, of which I have ideas but would be glad and really interested to hear those of others.

Questions:

1. Is there a different style of plugin, that would be detachable when moving the two cases, that could house all of the plugs necessary to a PSU?

2. Is there a series of plugs that look really interesting and would make the case stand out even more?

3. Is there any specific sources you would go to to get ideas or show your ideas?

4. Misc.: give me what you would do...

2. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Ok my turn... external power supply, has been done but I do not know where at this point. One of my project ideas called for one but I never got that one started.

Ok for plugs I would look to the audio video industry for plugs that will look good and work right. Look at zapwizards ammo pc and look into the switches that he uses in his project. They are strong and they look like they will serve your purposes well for what you want to do with them.

I would split the atx conncetor into two peices, each with 10 wires because it is going to be hard to find a connector that has 20 pins and is reasonable in price. Likewise all the other connectors should be easy to do this way. There are other options too for these switches but you will have to look around to find them. One thing to remeber is that these lines are powered wit voltage and approprate sleeving, etc. would be required in this case. I would not do an external powerbox with out some sort of protection on the wires.

The original apple G4 cube had an external power supply and you may want to look on ebay and find a picture for inspiration. What you want is possible with some careful planning and work. Good Luck :D

3. TheEclypse

TheEclypse What's a Dremel?

yeah, the XLR plug zap used for power is sweet.

4. inmate909

inmate909 What's a Dremel?

Don't think you would need 20+ wires. You only need a ground, 12v, 5v, 3.3v and -5v...that is five wires from the PSU to inside the case. Inside the case you can solder those wires to a smaller, individual boards and come off those with all your molex connectors, MB connector...just be sure you remember which voltages go where. If you open up your PS you will see that all the wires from a single voltage come from the same huge pad, essentially you are just moving that pad inside your case. Use a larger guage stranded wire for each voltage to minimize the voltage drop, and only make it as long as you need it. Works in theory anyway, never tried it myself.

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

inmate909 is correct, except that you would need to carry across the blue, grey, and green wires along with the ones he mentioned.

Hm... I'm scaring myself, memorizing the coloring of the ATX wires. Must... get... out... of... modding... before... it... is... too... late...

6. toyomatt84

Wow this is a ton more helpful then the response I got at ocforums. Now on I'll ask questions here. Thanks a ton for the ideas guys/gals. I'll make sure to borrow a digicam for pics. :D

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Quite scary. But do you know what they all go to?

Anyways, you need Ground, +3.3, +5, +12, -5, -12, +5vSB, PWON and one other I think (or is that one the standby one?) Radioshack sells a molex type plug with 9 connectors on it (and another with 12 which would let you double some up for protection). Of course... do you even need it removable or just external? You could just have a huge extension soldering job.

8. Black

Black What's a Dremel?

i think you can put molexs n your backplate and then plug-in from atx psu to those molexes

9. Go4t

Go4t i

you can get an external psu that one of the new shuttles has which just has a small board inside and an external transformer

10. rankie

rankie What's a Dremel?

test psu not sure if is this is what you need but it may help

11. toyomatt84

The PSU was bought a long time ago. I have been deciding how to set it up in the system plan for a while now. I am determined on external, and they will need to detach themselves from eachother, meaning the PSU and the PC.

12. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

so just use some kind of plug and of you go... :D

13. toyomatt84

That's the goal. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to which plug I'll use.

14. toyomatt84

Crap, I have the whole thing hooked up. If you need pics there is a zip file here (click the down arrow to get a zip full of pics).

My problem now is, when I turn everything on, and press the power button, she flickers then shuts off. I tried resetting the CMOS, but that didn't work. :( Me needs help, BAD!!!

15. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

seems like you already have a psu in mind, but they sell that psu with detachable molex connectors on the psu side. Can't think what its called off the top of my head platinum x-connect or something of that nature. Does the psu need to be fully detached? or could u do what they used to do and bolt it to the top of the case or what not

::edit:: oy dearest old bit-tech has a review, its called the ultra X-connect http://www.bit-tech.net/review/338/

16. toyomatt84

Did you not read my last post?

THE PROJECT IS DONE!!!!

But, my PC won't boot. I need help with that, not what PSU to get. Please read my last post.