1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Extremely slow shutdown on new system with SSD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by talladega, 4 Jun 2012.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I just put together a new H77 Mini Itx system with a solid state drive in it. Starts up insanely fast. About 15 seconds power pressing power button to being in windows and ready to open any program.

However it takes FOREVER to shutdown. I'll go to the start menu and click on shut down and it takes just a couple seconds to get to where its saying shutting down. That only is there for a few more seconds until the screen goes black as though the system is going to power off, but then it sits like that for quite a while before finally shutting off.

I also noticed that when in the BIOS and I press Save changes and Exit, it takes quite a while for it to reboot as well.

Is it a bad motherboard?

Last edited: 4 Jun 2012
  2. Deders

Deders Modder

My first instincts want me to ask you:

1: What is your motherboard
    2: What kind of sound chip are you using?
    3: Is everything up to date, and do you have dot net framework 4.xx installed?
    4: what operating system are you using?

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Motherboard:
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=H77M-ITX

Onboard sound
    All Updates Done
    Windows 7 x64 Pro

It does this even in the BIOS. If I press the power button to shut it off or do CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot it takes a long time as well. I very much doubt it is software related as I have done this with no devices plugged in and all features in the BIOS disabled.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

sounds like a bios setting to keep the fans spinning for 30secs to 1min

i know i have a similar bios setting that allows me to cool the system down before it fully shutsdown

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I tested it with another PSU that I know works perfectly and it did the same thing. Also looking for settings like you mentioned and found none.