1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fable 3 PC delayed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

From what I understand of such things, porting from Xbox to PC is pretty much as easy as pissing on your shoes in the dark.

2. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Getting your code to work on the PC? Yes that's quite a simple task (then again, 'work' is a very broad term).

However, when you're in crunch mode, optimising said game is a lot easier when you're allowed to focus on a single platform.

Sad fact is, the difference in sales between the two platforms is going to be quite large, so obviously Lionhead/Microsoft want, what will be, the majority of the players to get the best experience possible. Pushing back the less important version can certainly help with that, and might just net us a better PC port (wishful thinking...).

3. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Again, your incredibly naive, we DONT get a better PC game because of delays,we get outdated xbox graphics, and a straight console port. This has been confirmed to be nothing more then a front to avoid more Piracy and get more sales on the console. Again, not rocket science. This has ZERo to do with giving the best experience possible. Don't believe every bit of marketing hype these companies feed you.

You realise these games are ALL made on PC as it is right? Even Console exclusives? They are get to run on console using a thing called DEV kits.

The fact is the Pc version SHOULD not be the less important one, considering the PC version could do things the 360 can't dream of, but why innovate and move forward when you can milk the console masses right?

4. mastorofpuppetz

Again, why cant games like Battlefield BC 2,, Bioshock, Fallout 3, tonnes of others launch the same time and be good PC games? This trend of delaying the PC version after announcing it to be coming to PC is a new tactic, has ZERo to do with delaying it to make a better PC game, that's a load of BS, especially when many are delayed for just 2 weeks, yeah, they are doing a lot of extra coding in 1 week, LMAO.

5. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

The PC isn't the lead platform because it's not the one that will generate the most sales. Not 'rocket science' hey?

You seem to criticize and hate everyone but then acknowledge the rampant piracy problem the PC has. So then what exactly will make you happy? Loads of new AAA PC games that push the capabilities of our PCs? No problem, just get more people to buy good PCs and the games to go with it. Easy huh?

So you hate Microsoft for...making money? Microsoft is a business, it's their job to maximise profit and keep shareholders happy. Saying they abandoned the PC platform is a joke. They simply refocused their efforts to where the money was.

Also, next time actually read my post properly before subjecting us all to another one of your sad rants. I said the delay was to focus more crunch time attention onto the Xbox version, not the PC port. Actually, I even said it was 'wishful thinking' that the delay would even get us an improved PC port.

Seriously dude, you need to chill with the anger. These are just games running on a machine, not exactly the thing to give yourself a hernia over.

6. ian8415

ian8415 What's a Dremel?

Missed the biggest problem with fable 1 on the pc, it doesn't work on alot of setups, or it works but with no sound!!

7. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

Did everyone seem to miss the fact that Fable 3 is going to support the new Kinect interface?

People are throwing around all these corporate greed stories - maybe Lionhead simply diverted some it it's efforts over to the xbox version (thus delaying the PC version) so that they can polish this turd in time to help microsoft actually sell a few of their over-priced, gimmicky controllers. The Kinect review made it pretty clear that it has issues - maybe they are just streamlining those issues where they impact the game.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

ops, wrong thread, was talking about Crysis 2 delay. sorry.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2010
  9. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

when has microsoft ever been creative and innovative (aka moving forward)? they aways just follow the footsteps of apple. the creative innovator. ...a sad fact.

dont most cross-platform games first appear on consoles than pc? because of security (piracy) and hardware reasons (trying to get the game to work on all cpus/gpus/etc.). i say. this delay is only to be expected. sadly.

10. mastorofpuppetz

HUH, again, LEARN to read, please show me where I said anything about making money? it has ZERo to do with that, they can easily release their games on PC the same time without affecting Console sales, they do not compete directly, other companies do. you think gears would never have sold millions is it

came to PC the same time? LMAO, naive?

Again, My issue with MS is how they try and tightly control things, try and get money out of one thing at the expense of another, in this case PC. They also rely solely on others by throwing money around (ALA no first party titles, buying exclusive DLC), all they do is take others ideas, throw millions at marketing and try and sell it as fresh and their idea.

11. mastorofpuppetz

Nope, it has been announced Fable III won't support kinect at launch anymore, even peter must be seeing how terrible MS's glorified camera is, talk about a epic fail that will be.

12. mastorofpuppetz

Nothing is stopping MS from also developing the PC market, instead they are doing more then anyone to kill it. Again,a company in MS position has the ability to really push PC forward, instead, they are bent on milking outdated hardware on console. No reason 2 can't thrive. Nothing stopping them from trying something on the PC side that will bring gamers to PC, and utilize the extra power the PC has over aging console hardware.

13. Synikal Ali

Synikal Ali What's a Dremel?

We can only hope that the extra time will allow them to make the PC version that bit better than the console port

14. Jesuit001

Jesuit001 What's a Dremel?

Lol. The main reason fable 3 PC, above all your valid but rather unlikely reasons,is delayed is down to cost. Take XBOX 360. Its one platform with known hardware and basically the same as any other xbox360 unit out their. WIth that development and tweak time is sevearly reduced. As a result it costs a small portion of the amount it would cost the developers and microsoft to make fable 3 pc playable across a large enough PC base. Not everyone has High spec pc's. But Everone who owns an xbox has exactly the same hardware. So theoretically it costs them less to develop and there sales to Xbox 360 owners wont be hindered by the fact that the game may not work. Thus reaching a much bigger market. (MO money). This money can then be put back into the pot to develop and tweak the PC version. The PC platform release needs to be more versatile and has to be designed to work with alot of different systems and hardware configurations. This is common these days with the gaming industry. If they want to be competitive and carry on making some of your favourite games that you like to bitch about so much they need to develop them across multiple platforms. But this cant be done all at once and as was the case with fable 2, the sales were not impressive enough to warrant or consider a PC version. And it really has nothing to do with pirating im afraid. The Xbox release will be pirated just as much as any PC release and be just as accessible.

15. Nubby Fingers

Nubby Fingers What's a Dremel?

Way back on the Piracy "thought"...the XFLOP is easily hacked / chipped to play pirated 360 games...just saying...

16. ati360

ati360 What's a Dremel?

To be honest, I blame places like PC World for the decline in the appeal of PC gaming. Back in the day where most games were designed to run on low to medium settings on god awful S3 prosavage integrated video chips, nobody really kicked up a fuss.

For atleast the past 5 years places like PC World have been saving money by stocking mainly Intel machines that have naff integrated graphics chipsets, and still manage to charge 150% markup for the machines (I'm not saying AMD Integrated graphics are any better, its just that the majority of PC's sold tend to have Intel because most of their processors have a gpu onboard the cpu, and they've sucessfully monopolised most of the brittish PC industry*). People see big numbers and NEW in big letters and they assume that it's the best they can get.

Nowadays some ignorant fool gets conned out of 600 quid and gets a machine with a 21" 1680x1050 monitor and an intel GMA X-something or other GPU, and wonders why his brand new computer won't run Starcraft 2. Forget Microsoft; blame the rob-dogging retailers.

It's why consoles win with sales. Your average joe doesn't care about what's inside his Xbox 360 or PS3, he buys a game, he can't change the graphics settings so he accepts that what he sees is what he gets and actually focuses on the gameplay (not something I can do very easily). It's an unfortunate truth for us PC gamers, but i try and excersise common sense as appose to jump on the defensive when someone scrutinises PC gaming.

XBox 360, PS3, and that other one with the swinging and the flailing are bound to make more money; more people have games consoles than gaming capable PC's, and as a developer, if you just release games on PC, you might end up loosing money. Believe it or not, i'm actually glad as a PC builder that steam is selling games that are Mac compatible (cause lets face it, if you've got a mac, you're bound to have more money than sense anyway, and it'll probably have some form of dedicated GPU in it), because it gives developers that extra bit of income to carry on making games for a platform that is really suffering.

If every PC shipped with a gtx 260 or HD4870 (on a consumer level these things are around £80-£120, so imagine how cheap a company like Dell or Acer could get it for), PC gaming wouldn't suffer as badly. Companies are just too greedy, even alienware have excessive markups (but they are effectively Dell so what can we expect).

*not critisizing intel, just stating a fact.

17. kasmirkocot

kasmirkocot ~kasmirkocot~

This is BS! Fable is still my all-time favorite PC RPG. I was so pissed when it was announced Fable II would not be released on PC... and now THIS? How can you only have I and III on the PC platform? It makes no f-ing sense. This is so hypocritical. I'm going to protest by not spending money on this, even though I really want to. Because it's the most idiotic, greedy thing they could do!

18. MastaK

MastaK What's a Dremel?

lol I know when it comes out or at least that what it said in the systems at gamestop I think it was July 27th, 2011 that the girl said it was on the system at the time.

Tags: Add Tags