1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAH: Joining a team

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by kim, 3 Apr 2020.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

I perhaps posted this in the wrong thread but I couldn't be sure where to post it.
    Yesterday, I decided to assign some of my ressources to FAH, for Covid.
    I am new in folding, so I started by watching several videos about it, and the lastest one who finally decided me was that one from Harware Canucks:

So I did it, and I even installed my latest GPU in the PC to upgrade from my old R9 Nano...
    It's the second unit I'm folding and I stopped folding after the first one this morning so the GPU counter is back to zero for now...
    [​IMG]
    What I am wondering is, what are the benefits to join a team ?

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Nothing beyond a bit of friendly competition.

Make sure you get a passkey if you are interested in competition as well, get a lot more points after 10 units.

3. kim

kim hardware addict

Ohh I see better now, thanks to shed a light on it :grin: I'll consider that...BT's team seems to be high in the stats BTW, may be the best choice for a member :hehe:

MLyons likes this.
  4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It's definitely the best choice :winking:

Arboreal likes this.
  5. kim

kim hardware addict

done :grin:
    [​IMG]

Shirty likes this.
  6. Shirty

^ Post of the week :clap:

kim likes this.
  7. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Welcome to the team :)

kim likes this.
  8. kim

kim hardware addict

I am happy as well, thanks for the welcome, :grin:
    I feel like a c..t not to have done this before with such a hardware hoard, may be one of the rare benefits of Covid: beeing usefull to community :happy:

MLyons likes this.
  9. kim

kim hardware addict

Hi Jeff, I'm reading a lot of threads here on BT, you're a very active member this I am aware of, but TBH, I didn't notice something bad happened to you...would you mind to elaborate ?

10. Shirty

Jeff had some crashing/restarts when folding. It's not common though, I have 6 or 7 PCs folding continuously and have never had any hardware issues with any of them in 9 months, so you'll be fine.

11. kim

kim hardware addict

thanks @Shirty , yes, I made some research in his contents, I found the the issue he mentioned...
    "Anyone know what would make my PC crash/reboot while folding?
    I've had a restarted machine 2 mornings in a row since I started; after a restart, this morning, it crashed & restarted as soon as I opened FAHControl..."

In that case, I understand better now, well, I'm sorry for him, yet, it seemed to me he had great hardware, I might be lucky but since I built my own PCs, I never had any crash or BSOD...:rollingeyes:... but I will admit that folding produces a lot more heat, I reached 125°F permanently since I started folding, but I add a couple of fans blowing towards the MB and now I am swinging between 107°F and 113°F...that's acceptable...:thumb:

12. kim

kim hardware addict

Yup, I was wondering if I could not install the folding soft on another PC, I still have some questions I'm wondering about, like for exemple: does PCs have to be switch on permanently even after a unit is done folding? and if so, would I lost the points won for the team?, I have a lot to learn about it still, sorry to be such a noob :rollingeyes:

13. kim

kim hardware addict

yes, you're certainly right, but luckilly in my case, I have several PC like you can see in my signature...as of now, my main computer (PC2) is dismounted while trying to build a suitable case for it, the PC4 is in my room and it's only an HTPC, I use my ryzen build only for gaming and crowling on internet, my FX 8370 is actually doing the F@H but my old Q9650 might be dedicated to folding as well...

14. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Joined today and waiting for my first WU to complete... I put the B-T team no in and remembered to get a passkey.
    Let's see how it goes on this little machine

Shirty and kim like this.
  15. kim

kim hardware addict

I installed F@H on my oldest PC too, but the temps scared me :wallbash:, the Q9650 is cooled by a Cooler Master V8, so I stayed at medium power, and yet, it's hot, but well
    [​IMG]

16. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Great to have some new folks on the team - welcome aboard kim and Arboreal :thumb:

@kim: Those temperatures will not be an issue, you've got plenty of head-room.

17. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks for the welcome @DocJonz , it feels good to contribute to the fight against Covid
    about temps, you're right, I just put a few more fans to stabilize the heat under 140°F, it will do the job :thumb:

18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Came back top my PC this morning and teh GPU has stopped folding and I have gained a mere 1000 points overnight. The WU that the GPU was working on was may more than that.
    Is there a better graphical control than the web interface? Feeling a bit lost and underperforming here.

Found the control panel, and the log. I think I can see what's going on. Seems to say no WU available for this configuration. i5 6 core is working through a WU but surprisingly nothing for the GTX 970.

I'm sure it'll make more sense when it's been up anad running longer

Last edited: 4 Apr 2020
  19. kim

kim hardware addict

yes, I noticed WU are assigned mainly on the CPU, but after 2 days folding, I noticed GPU was also assigned, but seldom both in the same time...
    this morning I could see how much points I earned during the night: 1399 points; it looks like both PCs points are added on a single score as it is the same amount of points on both; to end, I was also surprised to see that one of them is completely idle this morning, but I guess it's just waiting for a new unit to work on...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arboreal likes this.
  20. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes we've got around 44 GPUs running and the highest I've seen is 31 running at once with the lowest around 20

kim and Arboreal like this.