1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAH: Joining a team

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by kim, 3 Apr 2020.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

I perhaps posted this in the wrong thread but I couldn't be sure where to post it.
    Yesterday, I decided to assign some of my ressources to FAH, for Covid.
    I am new in folding, so I started by watching several videos about it, and the lastest one who finally decided me was that one from Harware Canucks:

So I did it, and I even installed my latest GPU in the PC to upgrade from my old R9 Nano...
    It's the second unit I'm folding and I stopped folding after the first one this morning so the GPU counter is back to zero for now...
    [​IMG]
    What I am wondering is, what are the benefits to join a team ?

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Well-Known Member

Nothing beyond a bit of friendly competition.

Make sure you get a passkey if you are interested in competition as well, get a lot more points after 10 units.

3. kim

kim hardware addict

Ohh I see better now, thanks to shed a light on it :grin: I'll consider that...BT's team seems to be high in the stats BTW, may be the best choice for a member :hehe:

MLyons likes this.
  4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It's definitely the best choice :winking:

Arboreal likes this.
  5. kim

kim hardware addict

done :grin:
    [​IMG]

Shirty likes this.
  6. Shirty

^ Post of the week :clap:

kim likes this.
  7. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Welcome to the team :)

kim likes this.
  8. kim

kim hardware addict

I am happy as well, thanks for the welcome, :grin:
    I feel like a c..t not to have done this before with such a hardware hoard, may be one of the rare benefits of Covid: beeing usefull to community :happy:

MLyons likes this.
  9. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

Hope you have better luck than me...

10. kim

kim hardware addict

Hi Jeff, I'm reading a lot of threads here on BT, you're a very active member this I am aware of, but TBH, I didn't notice something bad happened to you...would you mind to elaborate ?

11. Shirty

Jeff had some crashing/restarts when folding. It's not common though, I have 6 or 7 PCs folding continuously and have never had any hardware issues with any of them in 9 months, so you'll be fine.

12. kim

kim hardware addict

thanks @Shirty , yes, I made some research in his contents, I found the the issue he mentioned...
    "Anyone know what would make my PC crash/reboot while folding?
    I've had a restarted machine 2 mornings in a row since I started; after a restart, this morning, it crashed & restarted as soon as I opened FAHControl..."

In that case, I understand better now, well, I'm sorry for him, yet, it seemed to me he had great hardware, I might be lucky but since I built my own PCs, I never had any crash or BSOD...:rollingeyes:... but I will admit that folding produces a lot more heat, I reached 125°F permanently since I started folding, but I add a couple of fans blowing towards the MB and now I am swinging between 107°F and 113°F...that's acceptable...:thumb:

13. kim

kim hardware addict

Yup, I was wondering if I could not install the folding soft on another PC, I still have some questions I'm wondering about, like for exemple: does PCs have to be switch on permanently even after a unit is done folding? and if so, would I lost the points won for the team?, I have a lot to learn about it still, sorry to be such a noob :rollingeyes:

14. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

I think a totally un-allocated machine is a better choice for F@H... I was using the machine I use everyday.
    If it is better to use a machine that's not in any other use, then I don't have sufficient hardware to make one.

15. kim

kim hardware addict

yes, you're certainly right, but luckilly in my case, I have several PC like you can see in my signature...as of now, my main computer (PC2) is dismounted while trying to build a suitable case for it, the PC4 is in my room and it's only an HTPC, I use my ryzen build only for gaming and crowling on internet, my FX 8370 is actually doing the F@H but my old Q9650 might be dedicated to folding as well...

16. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Joined today and waiting for my first WU to complete... I put the B-T team no in and remembered to get a passkey.
    Let's see how it goes on this little machine

Shirty and kim like this.
  17. kim

kim hardware addict

I installed F@H on my oldest PC too, but the temps scared me :wallbash:, the Q9650 is cooled by a Cooler Master V8, so I stayed at medium power, and yet, it's hot, but well
    [​IMG]

18. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Great to have some new folks on the team - welcome aboard kim and Arboreal :thumb:

@kim: Those temperatures will not be an issue, you've got plenty of head-room.

19. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks for the welcome @DocJonz , it feels good to contribute to the fight against Covid
    about temps, you're right, I just put a few more fans to stabilize the heat under 140°F, it will do the job :thumb:

20. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Came back top my PC this morning and teh GPU has stopped folding and I have gained a mere 1000 points overnight. The WU that the GPU was working on was may more than that.
    Is there a better graphical control than the web interface? Feeling a bit lost and underperforming here.

Found the control panel, and the log. I think I can see what's going on. Seems to say no WU available for this configuration. i5 6 core is working through a WU but surprisingly nothing for the GTX 970.

I'm sure it'll make more sense when it's been up anad running longer

Last edited: 4 Apr 2020