1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fail-safe way to turn on a computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amorphus, 15 Jun 2003.

1. Amorphus

Amorphus What's a Dremel?

I have an 8rda+, with BIOS 3507 (its an Award BIOS, I believe).

okay, this BIOS allows for me to use a power-on password (computer will not turn on without the password being type don the keyboard - power button, nothing else does anything to wake the computer up)

well, I forgot it :rolleyes:

is there any way to FORCE the motherboard to turn on? as in a backup way...

also, yes, I have tried clearing the CMOS. I've don the whole "remove motherboard from all power, remove CMOS battery, unplug PSU, turn off PSU, set jumper on CLEAR for an hour" thing. no beans.

anyone? this is ticking me off. :duh:

2. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

take the bios chip out and replace it with a new one. Either that or look for a "reset password" jumper.

3. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

if you did the bios clearing right... and assuming you did right, you're in deep trouble...

if that didn't worked... and you can't remember at all the password.... you'll have to return the mobo so that Epox resets the bios flash rom...

don't know if there's a removable flash rom on your baord... but I saw a couple.... mine doesn't (asus a7n8x)... so switching the flash rom with another one (same thing) would work...

but maybe there's a way to go around that... let see what people here will say :D

4. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

how did you forget your password? if you use your computer every day like you SHOULD be doing, you cant forget it! :lol:

maybe try taking out the vid card and the ram. maybe you'll piss it off enough to start.

5. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I say the best thing to do is try like hell to remember the password! Clearing the CMOS won't clear the password because otherwise it would be too easy for people to get around it leaving it insecure and thus defeating the purpose.

Since the CMOS settings chip is cleared via the jumper, I'd guess at the password being stored on another chip somewhere else which is probably not removable.

Once thing you could try is phoning EPoX and explaining the situation. Some manufacturers put in hard-coded passwords for exactly this reason, but you might be out of luck if they don't.

6. Green Soda

They wont tell you the password though. They'll have you send it in, they dont want to give anyone that knows anything about computers a high level password like that.

7. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

True, I doubt they'd be happy about giving it out yeah. I thought maybe they might though. Worth a phone call to them though Amorphus.

8. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak What's a Dremel?

double check teh manual - surely there must be a clear password jumper/mechanism somewhere around there...

9. Green Soda

its the big red button with "Self Destruct" written on it...