1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Failing hard, need help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by David, 5 Aug 2016.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I bought some MyCloud drives fro WD and shucked the 2TB HDDs for my microserver. I happened across a guide (two actually) for installing different drives in the mycloud chassis - so I could use a couple of smaller drives in there.

It involves booting from a liveCD and parroting a bunch of command lines, which I duly followed, but I'm hitting a wall.

I freely admit, the extent of my Linux knowledge amounts to the square root of bugger all, but even I can usually manage to parrot a few instructions. Though clearly not, in this instance.

Here is the first guide I found - clicky

and everything goes fine until mounting another USB drive to copy some files over, Part 3 towards the end of the guide.
    This bit seems to go without a hitch:
    ..but as soon as I attempt to upload the images:
    it falls over with
    The second guide differs slightly in that it asks you to download the image files, but I keep tripping over that too.

Any help, pointers or general advice would be lovely right now.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Are you SURE your USB drive is at /dev/sdc1 ?

Plug it in and run (as root) "fdisk -l" as it says at the start of the guide.

Look at the list returned for a drive of around the size of your USB drive. THAT'S where it mounted.

Alter the section you quoted accordingly.

fdisk could say /dev/sdd1 or /dev/sde1 or anything up to /dev/sdz1

Here's what fdisk says about the 16GB USB drive I just mounted here:-

Code:
    Disk /dev/sde: 14.6 GiB, 15631122432 bytes, 30529536 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device     Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
    [B]/dev/sde1[/B]          32 30529535 30529504 14.6G  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

The BOLD part is what you're looking for. :thumb:

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

dd is a command that makes a byte for by copy of things.

the "if" stands for input file and the "of" stands for output file.

It looks like it can't find the kernel.img files and you should run the command with the full path of that file. Or you should change to the directory which contains the kernel.img files and then run the command.

As IanW points you should also be sure that the disks names in the guide reflect the disks names that you are actually using. These do change depending on how the disks on your system are arranged and how many of them there are. sda is the first disk, sdb is the second and so on. The numbers after them refer to the partitions. So sdd1 is the first partition of disk "d" or the fourth disk and sdd2 is the 2nd partition of that disk.

Edit:
    Just looking closer at the guide it says to download some files and put them on the usb you've mounted and formatted to ntfs (sdc). It gives the command to change to that directory but there's no command to copy the files you've downloaded on to it. So that's basically what you need to do, put the files on that usb, then continue.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2016
  4. David

No I got that part - I was running FDISK -l every time I tried different drives (in case there was an issue with USB stick).
    I copied the files to a newly NTFS formatted USB stick, plugged it into the computer, ran fdisk to confirm the volume name and entered the mount usb instructions...

If the files are in the root directory of the USB drive, there isn't any more to the path to enter, surely?

Is there a step I've missed? I'm really scratching my head, because I can't see it. :confused:

I appreciate the replies, chaps.

5. theshadow2001

Ok. You might be hiding the contents of the usb. Verify you have the files on the usb elsewhere then plug it in and

try:
    Code:
    mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb

Then:
    Code:
    cd /mnt/usb
    then type:
    Code:
    ls
    and confirm that your files are there

6. David

I verified the files were on the USB stick, on another PC - didn't think to check to see if they were visible on the laptop running the LiveCD.

I'll have a looksee. Cheers.

7. theshadow2001

Sorry, I misread the manpage. Ignore my mount instruction above, if you do remount the usb. Anyway if the files aren't there, see if there is more than one partition on that drive (sdc2, sdc3, etc) and try and mount one of those and look again for the files.