1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fan adaptors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [F6]Menthal, 3 Jun 2002.

1. [F6]Menthal

[F6]Menthal What's a Dremel?

does anyone have any experience with these? i have a volcano cu6+ which has a cfm of 38 and a db level of 39, i was thinking of getting me a 92-60fan adaptor and a papst 92mm fan which has about 42.4 cfm and noise level of 28db, now is my question, will this give me the same cooling i have now? i have an tbird 1.4 which is currently @ 44° celsius and isn't overclocked 'yet'

greetz

[F6]Menthal

2. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I have not seen a 92 to 60mm adapter. I have seen 80 to 60. It all depends what fan you plan to put on it. Typically, what the 80 to 60mm adapter actually does for you is the same amount of CFM or cooling, at a much lower dB using standard case fans. You could put a more agressive fan on it and get better temps. In my experience, people using adapters are doing it more for sound than temperature since you can get some serious RPM 60mm fans...

3. [F6]Menthal

there are even 120-60mm fan adaptors, what my question exactly meant was, when i change the fan to something much quieter but wit a little bit more cfm, will i get about the same temps?

greetz

[F6]Menthal

4. GunDam

GunDam Minimodder

Yes it would lower the temp in theory. It helped my old Thermoengine when i installed a 60->80 adapter onto it. Dropped the temp by 4*C

5. [F6]Menthal

thnx
    that is good news

greetz

[F6]Menthal

6. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

It isn't all good news.

Fan adaptors have an air resistance, because they squash the air stream of the fan into a smaller space, and thus increase the static pressure required from the fan. The airflow ratings of fans are for 0 static pressure (ie completely free space), and the airflow decreases as static pressure increases (ie a 38CFM fan on a heatsink may only be moving 25CFM because the static pressure is greather than 0). Fan adaptors make this problem worse.

However, they can still be very worthwhile using, since dB is a logarithmic scale. Thus, for every 3dB you knock off the noise of the fan, you've halved the noise level. For every 10dB, you've reduced it to a tenth. Thus, the Papst fan at 28dB is producing less than 10% of the noise produced by the thermaltake fan at 39dB.