1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fan Painting

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 30 Dec 2001.

1. macroman

macroman The One

2. Slink

Slink B7

Look great,
    Just a little qeustion, on the last picture, the blue fan, it says you painted it silver then reactive paint,

Where did you get the reactive paint, or can someone tell me what is the best varnish to buy,

Thanx , Slink

3. BradfordPimp

BradfordPimp What's a Dremel?

I would love to know what colour green that is, im modding my Lian-li all silver and green :p and that's the perfect colour.

4. sTevE

sTevE What's a Dremel?

Any idea where i can get uv paint in the US?

5. Brad

Brad What's a Dremel?

help

hey i need some help i've been able to get my fan blades off all my fas exept my 92 mm fanf, i need to paint those cuz there gonna be on top, anyways they have this clip thing that really bugs me, i'v tryed prying and iv'e tryed pulling but it wont move:
    [​IMG]

sorry its a bad pic i couldnt get the camera close enough to see the clip but far enough for focus so i drew it in......

hopefully you can tell

Last edited: 10 Jan 2002
  6. macroman

macroman The One

It's a circlip. Basically a washer with a split in it. It should be removed with circlip pliers which poke into the holes and open it up. You could try using needle nosed pliers or a thin flat screwdriver to prise it open. Just be careful not to bend it too much or it wont fit back properly.

7. TiRuno

TiRuno What's a Dremel?

Has anyone found out where to get that UV varnish??!?!?

TiRuno

8. Styles

Styles What's a Dremel?

Let us know your secrets. I have searched some local paint stores and nobody knows anything about the varnish that you used. The one that dried clear and showed up blue under ultraviolet light. Can you give more detail as to what you used?:confused:

9. macroman

macroman The One

The stuff I used was PCB Conformal coating. It is a clear "varnish" sprayed on PCBs to seal them. Most of them are UV reactive so just check the specs in the catalogue. Maplin, RS, Farnell, Radio Shack all sell the stuff.

10. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

/me grabs maplin catalogue!

11. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

any difference between acrylic and silicone conformal coating??
    found two different types at rs :p

12. Styles

Styles What's a Dremel?

I was able to find some silicon coating from a place called electronicplus.com There based in CA. Just ordered me up some. Thanks for letting us know what you got. :D

13. Brad

Brad What's a Dremel?

argh

ok i still can get that washer thing off so is there a way to paint it while it is still on the base w/o messing it up??

14. Styles

Styles What's a Dremel?

I bought one of those clear adjustable speed enermax fans the other. Took it apart with no problem last night, got it sprayed and put back together. Amazingly enough it still works, I managed to not screw that one up.
    Hey Brad, did you ever get that one fan apart or did you have any luck taping off things and painting the fan while still together?

15. Brad

Brad What's a Dremel?

i just left it black cuz i dont have money to waste and i didnt want to f' it up

16. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Nice article :) shame I bodged my Taisol stock fan trying it the first time :rolleyes: :D

17. TiRuno

TiRuno What's a Dremel?

18. Modmax

Modmax What's a Dremel?

Anyone know how to take the panaflo fans apart? They seem to be a little bit more tricky.

19. bistro

bistro What's a Dremel?

For folks in the States, one place for UV-reactive clear varnish (Invisiblue) HERE. Once in the catalog, scroll down to Invisible UV products. Warning: If you order more than 6 ozs., you have to make your order 75 bucks or more. This stuff is brush-on. For spray, one site HERE. Interesting demo .
    The stuff is washable, but it's my understanding that if you put a clear coat enamel over that is NOT "UV protective" (such as automotive clear coat or some clear nail varnishes are) , then you can make it permanent. 'Plain vanilla' clear enamel works best.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2002
  20. SGM

SGM What's a Dremel?

I went to Halfords today to get the paint, should I use the clear lacquer(sp?) on it though? or would this cause a problem

Tags: Add Tags