1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development fan speed controler in VB

Discussion in 'Software' started by modmaster, 10 Mar 2004.

1. modmaster

modmaster What's a Dremel?

Ok here is a quick question this i dont think is possible at all, but i will c if anyone knows how 2 do it (if its possible) *very much doubht it* and ignor me if its just 2 gay.

but is there a way of controling fan speeds using Visual basic or any programming language, is this at all achivable :(

2. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

You, know I just had a similar idea a few days ago :D Except I want on/off/7V control of my fans. I was thinking, use the parallel port to control the fans, with a VB front end to send data ou the parallel port. You control control the fans directly, with the the parallel port lines controlling the fans via a transistor & relays (and Id also optoisolate the lines too to be on the safe side). Problem is during startup when you dont know what the parallel port is doing.
    To get around that and allow more features, Im going to try using a PIC. One port connected to the parallel port, one to a bunch of relays controlling the fans. The VB front end would let me adjust the settings, the data would be sent to the PIC, which would then do its thing and set the appropriate relays.
    i think some pic's have PWM buil in, which would allow you to have any fan speed.

3. sk8o

sk8o What's a Dremel?

You can do it via the parallel port but there are some NT restrictions you have to by pass, I have a dev project going to use rs232 and a analogue devicves 8051 to automatically adjust the fans according to temp (this means that it is essentially isoated from the higher leval system which is the problem at startup if you wanted to use a windows app becuase the fans woulnt know what todo [unless you built the circuit to automatically have them at high power until they got a signal from the parallel port to tell them otherwise]) +i will write a small app to adjust the ratios from windows.

Start simple though, look at maplins interface boards and maybe use something thats pre built until youre experienced, otherwise read all the info about the parallel port and interfacing to it on google and start developing ;)

good luck.

4. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Google for WinIO or DLPortIO. They both allow you to use the parallel port on NT systems, and come with example code for VB :D

5. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Pick up this months PC Extreme, look for my article :thumb:

6. modmaster

lol do u work for them then acrimonious n wots ur article about then u gona let me in so i will think bout buying the mag. but if u work 4 them than thats rocks :rock:

7. acrimonious

The article is on building your own software-managed 12v device controller, 4 channel, with speed control for motor driven devices (fans). The nessacary software is on the disk, which was programmed in VB.

Screenie: http://www.mattjasonh.com/_images/misc/digibussoft.jpg

8. modmaster

:eeek: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

me thinks i am looking out for that mag 2morrow when i am in college, that program looks F*****g sweet cnt wait to get ma hands on it, is the source code included or will i never know :waah:

9. acrimonious

Sorry, but it's all copyrighted and thus out of my hands.

I do believe in the modding spirit however :naughty: , so I can point you in the right direction on code or re-tailor parts of it for you if you like.

I have made the software pretty customisable though.

10. modmaster

erm sure any erm *cough cough* direction pointing would be sooo very helpfull if its not 2 much bother that is mind :thumb: :D

11. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

erk - just looked up Parellel port up in MSDN ..... saw kernel mode driver and ran screaming :lol:

*edit* just looked up WinIO - its a device driver! excellent should simplify the whole thing completely.

12. sk8o

sk8o What's a Dremel?

kernal mode, kernal sch'm'ode, get on with it (hope you like the color blue ;))