1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding FAO : kna

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Asphix, 21 Jun 2002.

1. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

hey, i was browsing around the matrix orbital forums cause i just recently purchased an lk204-25-PC LCD and im havin fun researching everything i can about it.... and in those forums i discovered that you had inverted the display to yours a while back. Someone wanted to know how to do it and they were told to come here and ask you. I just looked through all the posts (and there are a ton of them) and couldnt find it. I dont know if he did come here and ask you or if im just blind (which very well could be the case..)

Anyway, if you could point me to the article describing how to do this ( i looked and coudlnt find it) or e-mail me at asphix1028@hotmail.com and let me know how you went about doing that to your lk204-25-PC MO LCD display i would greatly appreciate it, or at least point me in the right direction on where to find out how to do it.

Thanks in advance,
    Asphix

2. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Google is your friend.

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

First things first, Welcome to the Forums :D

I recently inverted a 204-25-PC...

I will try and describe the process as well as I can (note this is now I did it)

1. Remove the metal bezel that surrounds the LCD screen, this can be done by bending the clips at the back of the pcb and pulling it off carefully. The LCD should come away with the bezel this is ok as the contacts are not fixed.

2. Once you have the screen out you will notice a thin film over the front of the LCd. Very carefully get a hobby knife and start to peel off the polarizing film. Start in one corner then when that is up a bit start the nearest corner and then get one whole end off the display and then peel back the rest slowly.

3. Find some polarizing film (decent camera shops do it I think) work out the orientation you want to get the correct colours. Then cut out a strip of the film the exact size of the bezel so that it fits in nicely.

4. Put the film in the bezel, put the display in the bezel and proceed to push it back onto the PCB CAREFULLY

5. This is the hard bit, bending back the clips to hold the LCD in place on the PCB ...

Hope that helped ... any more questions just ask ;)

I am sure KNA will be about to answer in more detail soon :)

4. linear

linear Minimodder

Welcome to the boards.

Well, Cheese had a nice guide put together but it's on another site which is experiencing some difficulties.

The basic idea is pretty simple, but the devil is in the details. My pics of this aren't handy either, but I'll try to put it together if I can tonight.

You need to take off the metal clip that holds the display to the board. there are metal tabs that pass through the board that hold it on--you twist these back into a straight line so that they can pass through the holes. it taks some patience and a bit of fiddling with needlenose pliers, so go slow and be patient.

Once the cover is off, the LCD glass itself can be removed from the board. Note its orientation because you gotta put the thing back together. Maybe putting a tab of tape or something on on end would be good.

Try not to fool with the rubbery bits on the back of the glass--they make electrical contact between the board and the LCD glass so don't get them dirty and for the love of mod don't peel them off. Keep them on the LCD glass and all is well.

Now there's a polarized film adhered to the front of the LCD galss, this needs to get peeled off. When you get one corner lifted up, try to peel in a direction parallel to the surface of the LCD glass so you don't apply excessive (deadly) force to the LCD glass itself. Slowly and evenly peel the film back--it's a little trick because of the adhesive.

Then it's all downhill. You will have ordered a sheet of polarizing film (you did order it, didn't you?). Before you cut out your piece, place the film in a plane parallel with the LCD glass and rotate it until the display glass turns the darkest. This is the proper orientation to invert your display (it will be 90° rotated from the orientation of the film you peeled away earlier, cool huh?).

Cut to fit, don't bother with adhereing it, just let it sit inside the metal clip you removed, and reassemble the works. Try not to break anything (!!!) as you reassemble it--it's not terribly delicate, but this is a piece of glass you're handling.

Then fire it up, and enjoy.

Edit: Spike got in in front of me as I was typing all that noise.

5. Jamie

Always nice to have 2 guides to read tho .... 2 minds must be better than one ;)

6. KypD

KypD What's a Dremel?

heh. but linear's was more detailed and told more of what to look out for! :p

7. Jamie

I know ... linear is always doing one better :rolleyes:

8. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital

One last thing to let you know...

WARRANTY WILL BE VOID UNDER THE FOLLOWING INSTANCES

*Unwarranted mechanical stress applied to the LCD.

*Broken, Fractured, or Scratched LCD face.

*LCD polarizer damaged or modified in any way.

*PCB eyelets and/or conductors damaged.

*PCB altered by drilling, grinding, engraving (name, initials, symbols), or an application of a coating of any kind unless Matrix Orbital gives its expressive permission.

*PCB is modified in any way, including addition or removal of components and any extra soldering.

*Soldering or modifying to the bezel.

Warranty or repair returns must be sent back in an antistatic bag and must have sufficient packaging to protect the display. Any and all cables must be sent back with the LCD.

9. macroman

macroman The One

10. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

Awesome... thanks for the help. I realized this would void warrenty... but the inverted display just looks so much better! Anyway, i havnt bought the polarized film yet.. i havnt even recieved my unit yet.. im just getting a little ahead of myself with excitement.

Do you guys think its worth it to void my warrenty with this mod? is it very risky? Also, the other question i had just so i dont experience it is, while peeling off the old polarized film from the LCD, if i pull too fast will the adhesive leave like a line? do i need to be careful of that or just be careful of damaging the lcd with too much pressure?

One last question... do any of you know where in the United states i can get a small piece of polarized film for a decent price? I found one place but they only sell it by 2 feet for the minimum order... and its $15.00USD a foot.. being that ive just spend close to $2,000 dollars on this new monster box im building next week (Ill take pictures when its done), im kinda tight on cash and i still need to get lights and led's and what not....

Thanks,
    Asphix

11. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

now.. either greart minds think a like or foolish minds seldom differ. :D

12. Jamie

Should look something like this afterwards

[​IMG]

13. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

just wondering why dont you offer iverted models henry? Ok I will Admit you might as an option but I dont remember...

14. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

that looks fantastic spike :D
    nice straight cutting too! :D

15. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Ack, I really should hang around the modding forum more.. sorry for not replying.

Luckily it looks like it's been answered for you! :)

16. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

yah i haven't been in this neck of the woods in a while with GD being so active... will have to catch up after these darn exams :D

17. CriticalPoint

CriticalPoint What's a Dremel?

That is a nice straight cut there, my skills could never pull that off, atleast not without multiple blanks, I could pull it off in plastic with files, but alu is different. Next VFD definatly going with the mounting plates.

18. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

:) yeah they helped me out.. but im still having trouble finding a place to purchase some polarized film for a decent price.. any suggestions where to look? when i do a search in google all i get is scientific crap on how it works and ppl wanting to sell sunglasses!

19. Jamie

Sorry this isn't answering your question but ....
    I cut the rough shape out with a dremel then used a medium sized file flat file to get it straight then used a square needle file to get the corners right ... Also getting a bit of barreling on my macro mode which doesn't help.