1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Far Cry Poo... err... I mean two

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pookeyhead, 12 Feb 2009.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Well.. after 3 days of playing Far Cry 2, it's in the bin with the empty peperami wrappers and waste paper.

I know it's an old game, but I never bothered playing it, and it came free with my GPU so I thought, what the hell....

Considering it's a DX10 game, it looks pretty crap tbh.

Mouse lag is horrendous. I can tap the mouse and there's a very noticeable delay before the cursor moves. This is only present in Far Cry 2 and in no other game, or in everyday Windows operation.

You have to pump about 8 rounds into someone's head before they die.

The mouse movement in the menu screens is so irritating I wanted to scream

it's boring.

Like so many things it's flawed in Vista 64

Hate the way you need the map up before you can use the monocular/telescope thing.. meaning that you can't really see where you're looking at because it's either A) too zoomed in, or B) the bloody map is in the way... so you have to keep pressing 5 etc... Grrrr

I could go on... but I can't be arsed.

Just thought I'd have a little rant.. I'm OK now :)

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

3 days? wow... I suspect that is some kind of record, I bet most stopped playing it after a few hours.:D

3. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

Either there's no actual story to the game, or the missions are so so so drawn out that you forget what's actually going on. I managed to get to the bit in the desert where you meet Jackal when I came to the realisation that FC2 had become GTA. The second map was so shockingly massive and in knowing that I'd have to go from top to bottom 100 times over I pulled it out and used it as a coaster.

4. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Apparently it has nice realistic fire but I wouldn't know as I have a 7900GS lol, I also got about half way through single player and decided that I had enough doing the same thing over and over. That said I do like map editor which is great fun, its just a shame that the multiplayer option is poor.

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

An embarrassing waste of money. Got as far as the second map and stopped playing.

6. caffin999

caffin999 Bit of a noob, but learning quickly

i lasted 30 mins before i traded it for halo 3 lol

7. opal

opal Eh?

After quickly getting bored of burning everything and running over my fair share of wildlife I stopped. Think I only played it for a day, never got to the second map but after the 10th drive here, kill x, drive back. I gave up

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

What I'd like to know is how this scored 9/10 from Bit Tech?

9. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

it scored that big on almost every site. Read the article to see what they liked and what they didn't.

As far as i can tell, there's just one thing really broken about FC2: it's just uninvolving. I have played it for 2 hours and thought it felt a bit like a game from 2003 without a story. However, the actual graphics, the surroundings and concepts are all pretty good. That's what the games journos look at, and that's why they are fooled.

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

vsync turned off?

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

a lot of the problems could be easily fixed; ok so the missions are boring and samey, I wouldnt mind that nearly as much if it werent like trying to wade through knee high bodies just to get to the other side of the map.

The AI is lazy and badly written too, why does EVERYONE hate you? and why can they spot you from 8 miles away in fog?

FC2 annoys me, not because everything about it is awful but because everything about it could have been soooooo much better had they just put a bit more effort into the details. As it is the games is irritating and almost impossible to enjoy.

12. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

Well, the game was groundbreaking for immersion in an FPS, witht he healing and the maps and things the environment, the missions really did let it down and you didn't feel any real need to do them, the story didn't make you care at all for the charaters or the situation which is a shame because with more work it really could have done

13. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Crysis ftvv

14. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

I found that it just took too long to get anywhere to do any of the missions/scenarios.
    And also the lack of realistic damage to people i.e. it sometimes were dead with a single pistol shot but others it took several sniper shots to the head :confused:

Dave

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

It falls in the same category as Crysis. It's nothing but a tech demo IMO. Sure there are fancy pants trees and effects and all that stuff, but all of it only hurts the actual playing. In the woods you can't see anything, I got frustrated very quickly in not seeing where I got shot at... As far as I know it's just grinding. Kill this, kill that, kill this again and so on....

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I bought it after fond memories of FarCry 1, I played it for a couple of days and got bored.
    Online is just aweful, I mean really aweful and I've not played it since.

17. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

Id play Far cry 1 if I could get it working on vista 64-bit ¬_¬

18. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

That implies that DX10 actually does something in other games.

19. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

QFFT

the faster we can all forget about DX10 and Fista the better. i seriously hope they do something worthwhile with DX11

20. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I couldn't see the difference in DX10 full-stop. But it does look lovely (sunset especially) otherwise.

Am I the only person here who went right the way thru the Far Cry 2 storyline? And completed it?
    However, the endless shoot-you-or-chase-you-down checkpoint were so tireless I ended up using the buses to get about constantly, and taking serious detours to avoid the ridiculous respawns at the checkpoints.

Also, I found the weapons system worked quite well, and was fairly well implemented, though for god's sake the camo suit is expensive. And I didn't know a fishing boat wasn't a swamp boat. Cost me thirty damn diamonds. But the mortar and flamethrower, and the Dragunov are simply amazingly designed and executed.

And my god, the fire system was amazing/lovely. Just right for a game, not all-encompassing shoot-one-object-and-the-world-burns, but not too short-range either. Simply amazing.

It just needs (a lot of) balancing work and I reckon it could've made Game Of The Decade. Never mind. Finished it anyway.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2009