1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Farcry 3 - your tips/tricks, findings and thoughts

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by aLtikal, 6 Dec 2012.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I like your thinking, Draksis. Hopefully FC4 is this (or a rather clever mod comes along).

Just got to the forced-sneak mission wherein you get
    an outfit
    , and I rage-quit. The mechanics the game had just spent thirty hours building up and reinforcing got thrown straight out the window and the level designer grabs your hand to take a jaunty stroll with you through straight-line lane. The game kept telling me to throw rocks to distract the guards and hide in shrubbery, but why? At no point did I need to as the visibility cone on the guards is reduced to one square inch in front of their heads, and I'm rather certain they're all wearing ear muffs. Even then, when you do throw a rock there are only a couple enemies that will actually respond to the noise in the first place! (I tried damn near every single guard, and only two of them responded to the noise in any measurable way, and even then the rock had to be thrown basically at their feet) And more than once I just didn't bother with the (extremely obvious) path you were being told to take and just walked straight in front of several guards, and they did nothing! At all!

Why oh why did the mission designer have to so completely break the mechanics for this one mission? And for that matter, why did I even have to come here in the first place?! Surely any old pleb would have done rather than the peon the game ordered me to off. And just to add a further level of frustration the big baddie is within slapping distance, but just vanishes for no reason. Why in the hell couldn't I follow him somewhere and murderize him and everything living within a five mile distance. You know, kind of like I have been doing with my massive arsenal of weaponry and
    goddess-given
    skills of (seemingly) endless destruction?! Absolutely nothing about this mission makes any logical sense within the context of the game. Probably the most grievous part of it all though?
    I decided it would be better to sneak into the water and bypass a massive section of the area, jumping straight onto the boat that I was obviously going towards. Unfortunately the F***ING LADDER DOESN'T APPEAR UNTIL THE GAME DIRECTS YOU INTO THE WATER. Even worse? If you get into the water before the game directs you to there is absolutely no way to get out of the water again - your ability to climb out is removed - for some reason - which means you actually have to commit suicide to progress. Excuse me, but what?!

Honestly I love this game, I really do, and I easily consider it to be one of the best games of the year, except when I am playing the story missions.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2012
  2. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Oh, the pain of that mission!! :grr: That seriously is the worst mission of the game - and there are some real bad ones.

If its any consolation, if memory serves correctly the game snaps back to its normal self again straight afterwards.

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I find the game runs at 40FPS maxed out with 8xMSAA, HDAO on my laptop at 1920x1080. Knock it down to 4xMSAA see's 60FPS.

So those running dual cards @ 2560x1440 should see 40FPS+ with 4xMSAA maxed out

As for the game, I love it! Best moment was when I jumped into a river and had a crocodile attack me. Scared the crap out, and almost jumped out of my seat. (Though I did have it running on my 55" TV and through my 7.2 Surround @ -20DB's, (200W 8" Sub and a 1600W 12" Sub) so maybe it was more down to the sudden volume change, that scared me more...(DRC was off! For the tech headed peeps)).:D

I have to say that the game looks crap on my TN laptop monitor, (Colours look well to over saturated and vibrant, which makes it look too cartoony).

Connecting to my TV using Colour Gamut BT709, makes the game look as good as Crysis, or should I say better looking than Crysis. The differences between my TV and my Laptop monitor are huge! Alienware should really be pushing out IPS panels with their high end laptops, as the the TN panel does not do the laptop any justices...

I'll upload a pic in a bit to show you what I mean. :)

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Just finished the game, 100% on Survivor (because I'm terrible at games, leave me alone), and I cannot be more disapointed. I know I've said it before, but the campaign is just rubbish. 50 hours for
    a QTE and a cheating, cheap turret section with a binary choice for the ending you want?
    **** off. The story in Minecraft is more compelling and better told because despite the cut scenes looking aesthetically pleasing, the story is filled with obvious stereotypes, forced and unnecessary tripe, and ham-fisted clumsy writing. One or two memorable characters (okay, one memorable character) does not make up for the downsides.

Fun story: in one of the last missions
    you're tasked with getting a dossier of "known spies" or something from a commander in a canyon by using an RPG to blow up vehicles on a bridge after the supposed transfer of this document (how the bit of paper is expected to survive an explosion and fire is beyond me, but never mind). I happened along to this mission from the wrong direction - rather than coming at it from the opposite end of the canyon to the bridge, I came to it directly from the bridge, crossing it to get to the mandated start point. Despite being in disguise the PMC's in the area immediately saw me as a threat as I calmly drove by - which was strange in and of itself, but more so because I'd completely cleared both islands, so finding aggressive NPC's was a bit out of the ordinary anyway. Seeing this I decide to stop and just murder everything in sight with extreme prejudice. With this done I noticed one of the corpses on the bridge was glowing a different colour to the others (red), so I looted it and happened upon the document that I was tasked with getting in this quest! Now in a good game this would have just been a way to finish the quest, as I had the item, and all the relevant dudes were corpse'd. Nope! Drove around the corner to the start point and every single one of the couple dozen NPC's I'd just killed was respawned, and I had to collect a second document just like I already had in my inventory and had to abandon one of my amazing, upgraded, customised and well used weapons in exchange for a terrible RPG that I have absolutely no experience with. Amazing. Best game, 10 out of 10 2012.

6. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I wondered what would happen if you approached that differently.

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

It's just too easy, capturing the outposts is great fun but it only took me a couple of hours to clear the second island.

8. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Well FC3 is now pretty cheap on steam 39& off the basic and delux edition, had to come just after i got my basic disc copy.

Not sure wether to return the disc copy as i have not opened it yet and buy the delux and wait the 5-6+ hours it will take to download the 11 gigs of the game.

9. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Completed it yesterday and quite disappointed. The game is very short and not very difficult! Also the controls are pretty stupid and don't react in a logical way for some actions.

10. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Do it, and grab the deluxe or multi-pack options off a site other than Steam, as it's cheaper (by quite a lot apparently).

So I decided to revisit the game today, see what I could do with things to make it better. First I turned all the HUD options off that I could, grabbed a mod to remove the minimap, disabled all the flashing objects in the game, cranked the difficulty to max, and am artifically restricting myself from fast travel (under any circumstances). Aiming for full stealth run, and ignoring the campaign as much as possible (likely will only play it until the skills tree is unlocked). Been at it for a few hours now and it is quite a lot more fun than my last play through, and massively harder - takes a bloody long time to find a plant!

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

So I just installed it. Quite fun. I think it's a completionist's heaven. Although I will say that it's really easy to trick the AI. It's still massively fun.

12. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

i'm running on a 7870 with latest drivers (other specs as sig). the monitor is a benq 22" led (can't remember the exact model, but it was cheap), 1920x1080 at 60 hz. what happens is that when i view the videos illustrating a skill, they look like they're in 280p, and chunky. the rest of the game runs fine on highest settings, apart from the occasional weird artifact here or there.

also, i've noticed the same thing when it comes to hitman absolution. the videos are just really badly rendered (from my pov).

videos look chunky and segmented.

is this driver related?

i like fc3 so far, though i have to admit i haven't played any of the missions after finding the mushroom (second mission), open world Cheesecake!

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

The videos are just that: videos. They're low quality, poor resolution, and only meant to serve a very basic function.

14. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

As far as the original title of the thread goes? Flare gun is OP. I use it to one-hit-kill all tigers and other mobs that would highly annoy me.

Game just doesn't know how to react in the scenario.

Although I do hate the QTE's too. The "Hold F to put yourself out!" is absolute bullcrap. The number of times I've jumped the gun and burned to death because the game refuses to let me put myself out is ridiculous.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Out of interest, is anyone using the level editor for this? I've heard very good things!

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

After playing this game for a while. I realized, I really like this game. The openness, the idiotic things you can do. It's a lion's share of massive fun.

17. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I've got a Molotov stuck to my wrist has made using the bow awkward as it covers quite a bit of the left side. Apparently no fix available yet...

18. Malvolio

Malvolio .

So this is rather cool.

In short: new difficulty level, ability to reset outposts back to being controlled by pirates. I'm liking this idea (though they still need more UI adjustments in the game and a new game plus mode which bypasses second island restrictions and silly plot doors). May just have to give this game a fourth run once I get around to updating everything.

19. rma

rma Minimodder

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Heads up: new update just got released with the new difficulty level.

Playing it now with this mod installed and my thoughts are: meh. The AI seems a bit better but I cannot say I'm taking any more damage than I otherwise would be, nor do I find the animals all that much worse to deal with. To be honest the HUD changes do more to increase the difficulty than the new mode does, which is kind of sad to be honest.

Though if you're looking for a bit of NG+ fun once you've cleared everything the outpost wipe is nice. Just wish it didn't reset your position back to Amanaki Outpost, would have been nice if it was the mansion or even just a random place within the jungle. It is what it is though.

Edit: forget what I said about the AI being smarter. Fun story for you: after liberating a base I decided to take a break to grab some water, and rather than pausing the game I decided just to jump up to where animals couldn't get to me and leave the game running. Closest place was an animal crate filled with dogs, which isn't the worst place in the world really. Unfortunately once I got atop the crate one of the friendly NPC's yelled something and started firing upon the crate, releasing the dogs who agro'd instantly and exclusively on him, immediately killing him. Not the brightest thing I've seen from an NPC in a game admittedly.

Edit 2: turns out the above is a bug and is repeatable. Jump on an animal crate after you've captured a base = instant agro on the animal in the crate from the friendly NPC's nearby, which will result in one or two of them getting killed. This is amazing.

Edit 3: ...and video.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2013