1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fast drives (SATA) advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theflinger, 15 Nov 2004.

1. theflinger

theflinger What's a Dremel?

I'm looking in to a little self Christmas present, and I'm thinking fast drives. SATA definitely (more on this later).
    10,000 RPM Raptor? Is 36 gig enough if I plan to run Windows, maybe dual boot that with Linux in the future? Well, I know it is enough for that, but how many of my apps will I want to run on that drive? Photoshop, definitely, my video editors, yup...what about games?? Is the Raptor a good choice?

Will SATA 300 work with my SATA 150 enabled mobo and be available to the public reasonably within the next two months?

Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area!!! I don't mean to ask the obvious.

Thanks a lot guys,
    theflinger

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Get a 74gig Raptor. They are louder than your standard 7200rpm, but nothing a good insulated case cant fix. Speed increase is well worth it though. SATA is backward compatible - the raptors also have TCQ which is compatible with SATA II spec (as long as you reinstall your OS in ACHI mode).

3. theflinger

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Another vote for a 74GB Raptor. I literally got one the other day and i love it! I'm thinking of buying another actually... :D

5. theflinger

thanks!! Look at that price, that's so much cheaper than I thought!!! 36 gig isn't even on the map anymore :hip: :hip: :hip:

Any reason I shouldn't go for that? (OEM shouldn't matter unless there is some weird thing where OEM is bad with hard drives (I have a few other OEM parts that work just great), maybe the warranty is an issue?)

(I just bought it.)
    My mobo doesn't say if it supports TCQ, how can I figure this out? A tool maybe?

Last edited: 16 Nov 2004
  6. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Here is a 74 Gig Raptor with a $25 Rebate

Newegg

oooops! Didn't see your previous link :wallbash:

7. theflinger

thanks I posted that a while up ;)

and it's ordered :D :D :D

8. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

I bought two of 'em. So, they cost more a piece. But, I can run them together in RAID when my nForce 4 board ships. I'll be adding two Maxtor Maxline III drives to take advantage of the NCQ. That means the best thing to do is put the OS on the Maxtor drives to take advantage of random reads.

:idea:

9. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

For some reason I doubt a SATA300 drive would go to 300MBps even with a 300 cable/interface :hehe:

10. theflinger

11. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I paid $115 for my 36GB Raptor, I wish I could have pidy that extra $37 for a 74GB Raptor. :blah:

I use my Raptor exclusively for games. I'm able to load games much faster. I use a 120GB for windows and my programs, and then an 80GB for movies, mp3s, etc (which will be upgraded soon :D)

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The cables are the same?!

13. theflinger

Interesting that you don't use windows (on the Raptor). Would you suggest that I do since I Have a 74 gigger?

14. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

I'd install windows/apps/some games onto a 74gig raptor

15. theflinger

Thanks, that was what I was thiking too. Only install the games that need the performance.

There are no issues with installing games on the drive that doesn't have windows, right? If it needs to install to a system folder it will ask for my windows drive or detect I assume...

16. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

It shouldn't be a problem, I've done it many times with no issues