1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Fastest way to archive/digitize old paper files?

Discussion in 'General' started by liamredskis, 6 Oct 2023.

1. liamredskis

liamredskis What's a Dremel?

Hello again guys! Since I'm always getting good answers here, another query:

I'm about to clean up my storage room (finally). There's so much stuff in there, I can barely open the door wide enough for a person. It's just brimming with old clothes, half-busted kitchen appliances, and many, many boxes full of paper files. My dad and my brother work at the same law firm, and they've been putting various documents there over the last 7-8 years. So, some of them we'll have to preserve still, and I'm pretty sure I'll unearth some old family photos and possibly even some high school magz when I start digging...

While most of those documents will end up in a garbage can, I intend to scan and digitize those still worth preserving. I was thinking of using my phone and a scanner app for this, but since my brother can bring an actual scanner from the office, it seems we'll take that fancier route.

However, I'm looking for a way to speed up the process. I know there are apps that can "recognize" what is the type of the newly scanned file and even spot keywords within it (I've been reading articles about how to archive documents in boxes, it's from where I got the idea). I'd like to use such an app for quickly organizing the scanned files, preferably by setting up "rules" in the vein of all scanned photos ending up in the "photos" folder, all scanned documents with the number "2018" ending up in the "2018" folder, and so on.

Can anyone recommend me some apps of that nature? If there's a free trial in store, even better!

Thanks!

Last edited: 16 Oct 2023
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have, but sadly it's all manual. Very manual: I scan stuff with Simple Scan to a folder full of PNGs, then process them using a hacked-together script that daisychains ImageMagick (deskew, enhance, convert to JPEG), jpegcrush (optimise JPEGs), and Tesseract OCR (recognise text and create a PDF with text layer). Then I file whatever it is away in a folder somewhere.

What it sounds like you need is a document management system. With the proviso that I've never used it m'self, Papermerge looks like a good shout. Kinda tempted to see if it could handle all my magazine scans, actually...

If you want something more well-established, there's Mayan EDMS.

liamredskis and adidan like this.
  4. liamredskis

liamredskis What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your help! I'll look into those apps over the weekend, and who knows, I might get this done without fretting too much...

5. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Easiest way to do it? Pay someone else!