1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Fat Dual PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Schranana, 22 Dec 2010.

1. Schranana

Schranana What's a Dremel?

first time posting on here.. lets see how it goes.. please forgive my grammar

been thinking about making a dual case for myself for a long time now... i saw one a while back from some prefab company... it had a built in 2 port KVM on it.. but looked cramped as heck... i know about mountainmods... but I'm usually a bunch of different kinds of broke, so not an option, plus i didn't like how all of their dual case options had 80mm rear fans on the mobo trays.

anyways, long story short, after a lot of scavenging old crap getting tossed at work i got most of the parts i wanted. Parts i felt i lacked the skill and patience to make myself. I'm using mobo trays ripped out of identical cases and 2 different drive trays taken from random cases, the rest of the case is mostly thin sheet board and 2x2's mods feel free to come at me if I'm in the wrong for labeling this a "Scratch Build"...

so my plan was to have 2 computers in this case, one from parts i have lying around which will be a media computer, and the other side would be my gaming rig from parts i have yet to buy because of the brokeness... C'est la vie... also, lots of 120 fans and toys (lights and such) so i wanted 3 PSU's, one running each computer and one running the fans and toys.

thus far i have 3 PSU's but one was salvaged from some (very dirty) guy's computer, i think it's a 350W, possibly more, reguardless, it's the one that will be used for the toys. i have since opened, cleaned, painted and replaced the fans of this power supply, it has a female and male port on it. i think i might be able to power the monitor with this thing. that's where I'm going to start with pics

I'm sorry, the only camera i have at the moment is my cellphone (forgive me)

The guy was a smoker, and overall quite dirty... as was the power supply

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so i cleaned the thing (I'll get pics of the clean guts later, i forgot to take them but still have to open the thing up to look at the wiring on the male/female plug, the outside looks like this now, I added 2 80mm clear fans with white LED's, i thought it looked nice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The drive rack's i grabbed looked mostly like this, i haven't done anything to them yet, i thought i was just going to paint it white, /shrug

[​IMG]

as far as the case goes.. i slapped together the 2 mobo trays i have and taped off all the holes i wanted free of paint, drilled 2 holes and screwed them together using some little nuts and big gold thumb screws i have like over 100 of.... also a few bolts in the front for stability, sacrificed BIC pen idea courtesy of Cheapskate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after i had the drive racks and the mobo trays bolted together i took measurements and made some very flimsy plans for the frame of the dual case, the back and top was all i needed, the rest of it would fall into place later

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

for the most part the frame is put together but i need to get pics of it off my cellphone and on my computer, I'll do that in the next day or so, sorry but i didn't take any pictures of me putting the frame together, first step yall will see is with the mobo trays mounted in it..

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Yeah, I hate having to skimp out on things... Looks good so far, great job!

3. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

That was one filthy PC before you started it.

I like the idea will be interested to see the final product.

4. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

That PSU was close to becoming a fire hazard! Good job on cleaning it up so well.