1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Faulty 780i SLI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onominous, 17 Sep 2011.

1. onominous

onominous Master of the Universe!

Hi Guys, Quick back story. Through having my old motherboard the evga nforce 780i SLi replaced through RMA I managed to get held of an extra board. They shipped one too many.

However, the second board never worked upon arrival. It just doesn't do anything, even with a bare bone set up, i.e. no case, just cpu memory and graphics and psu.

This happened to 2 boards of mine I recieved through RMA, the 2nd of which I couln't return, cos I shouldn't have it!

What I'm asking is...does anybody have any better knowledge to what it could be? I'm hoping it is something common. Like I don't know, dodgy BIOS chip or something. Just thought I would shout out to try and find some light!

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thanking all you lovely mother lovers in advance :p

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The board is dead and I don't think there's anything that you can do - even if the BIOS chip was faulty, it's not a socketed 8-pin DIL package (which some motherboards conveniently have) so you can't swap it to test the theory. You could try a hard-reset of CMOS (disconnect all power, remove the battery, leave for 20+ mins, replace battery, try powering up) but it's very unlikely to fix the problem since the board came to you in this state. :thumb:

3. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Why not try RMAing broken board?

4. onominous

onominous Master of the Universe!

Thanks for the response guys, I can't RMA it as it doesn't technicially belong to me.

They sent me a faulty board on my first RMA, so I told them to send me a pretested board, and then i'll return the faulty board. Got a working board, sent broken back, and a week later...another turned up :p Unfortunately broken as well.