1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fedora 10 folding (Jackofall??)

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by SazBard, 16 May 2009.

1. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

Hello,

Next week I will install Fedora 10 64bit, if I get along with it i will use it permenantly and just use xp for gaming (unless i can get wine running?)

I want to do folding on it also, and I just wanted some advice as to the most efficient setup to do.

I want to fold with my cpu (e6300) and gpu (8800gt).

I just want some direction really.

Thanks.

2. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Right...... I've been meaning to do this for some time, but have never got around to it. So I'm going to a) work on CUDA toolkit rpm, (which might have to be a nosrc.rpm due to the nVidia licensing) and b) work on either a separate script for starting the GPU client(s) or a script that can be integrated with 'finstall' to automatically start and stop the GPU client(s). The idea being to make installation and configuration of any GPU clients simple as possible - akin to running an msi installer on Windows, rather than having to work from the cmd line to get everything up, running, and automated.

The Ubuntu guide is a pretty good starting point, but a couple of things need changing here to be Fedora specific. So, I think what we need to do, is to use this as a starting point, make it Fedora specific, automate as much as we can so the setup work is done by the system packaging and install tools (yum and rpm), rather than directly by the the user and we should have something that is so simple to get up and running that I won't need to spend any time supporting it. ;)

I'd suggest that if you have only a single machine, and you intend to Linux fold and play the latest games - maybe you should install both XP and Fedora and dual boot. Getting games running under wine is not my area of expertise, (must be getting old and boring ;)), so you might want to cover all bases there. You'll have a fallback with a reboot into XP, should you have a problem with wine and your specific games either not working very well, or not supported at all. Worst way, after your XP gaming session, another reboot gets you folding again.

So if you give me a couple of days, I'll write a Fedora folding install guide for CPU and GPU folding, with the only pre-requisite required, that you have a 64 bit Fedora 10 install CD.

PS. Fedora 11 is released in 10 days and there is already a beta out now. I'd suggest that we stick with Fedora 10 for a while. New Fedora distribution releases tend to be a little more 'bleeding-edge' than others, and often take a few updates and weeks after release to 'settle down'.

3. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

Thanks for taking the time to write back. :thumb:

I downloaded the Fedora 10 64bit dvd iso and burnt it the other day. I will probably install it on Tuesday/Wednesday and have a play and wait for your guide with baited breath :D

In the mean time I'll check the Ubuntu guide out also.
    I dont mind getting stuck in into some hardcore CLI action either, I quite enjoy it strangely enough.

I intend to dual-boot, but I want to keep my xp and Fedora installs on seperate hard drives and just select the drive i want to boot with from within the bios. Plus I've got all my music and stuff on another seperate drive. Does Fedora support NTFS or will I need to install something?

Cheers :D