1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeding Frenzy: Moved to new format 9-22-05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Top Nurse, 27 Jul 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

No silver TwinPlex ??
    As much as I love Aqua-Computer, ALL there blocks need lapping/polishing.
    BTW, I like the 1950's SciFi stuff as well. Ever seen "Fiend without a Face"..Its great stuff..Sooo bad, it's good.

2. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Not yet... Thought I would wait for the Silber TwinPlex Pro's as then I can put the money in the bank and make some interest. :rolleyes:

My Silber Cuplex XT was finished very poorly for the amount of money they charge. It also had a concave surface and measured out at about .002/inch :grr:

Will have to check out that title. :thumb: My other favorite for vegging is "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

BTW, how do you get a star around here?

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Very cool work TN. I've been having a bit more fun with my v2000 in the last couple days and I'm loving the ideas you've put into this case. But I have to wonder... how will the Koolance HD coolers get hooked up? It looks as if their compression fittings go right over the power and data connections.

4. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Thanks for the positive input :cooldude:

Well that will be in a future update, but I will give you a clue. They swivel and I won't be using the SATA power connectors. :hehe:

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

To be honest I don't think that lapping makes any difference.. But if it just makes you feel more satisfied with watercooling, it ofcourse is understandable to sand it up :)

Waiting for next update!

6. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I can understand your point of view on lapping, but please take into consideration that most blocks get put onto lapping machines before they ship from the manufacturer. Either AC doesn't (which appears likely to me) or they don't want to spend a lot of time on it as evidenced by the rough milling marks seen on my TwinPlex. AC couuld improve this considerably by using the proper tooling and slowing feed rates down on the finish cuts. Wiper inserts on their indexable insert milling cutters also tend to eliminate this kind of problem. To me .002 of an inch concavity on my Silver Cuplex XT was just plain BS IMHO. I suppose that AS will fix this to a certain extent, but the whole point of lapping is to get a nice flat surface. It is not meant to have a mirror surface. :)

Next update tomorrow on my PSU. :D

7. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

nice lapping job....cant wait to see more

8. Jipa

Hmm it's a bit hard with my vocabulary to make things easy to understand :D But I'll try. My point was that I'm not sure if lapping makes any difference in temperature (if original base is FLAT (even not shiny). And another point was. Even it wouldn't make any difference in temps, it still makes you satisfied to know that the base of your block is extremely flat (and mirror-finished).

AND the third point is which of these two is the most important after all :)

(sorry if I make someone mad or hurt, It's damn 6:16 AM and I haven't slept since I drank too damn much cafe :lol: )

9. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I'm sorry if I came across as defensive as that was not my intent. If the block had been reasonably flat I wouldn't have bothered to lap it. :sigh:

10. Jipa

Ok that makes sense. I tought it was STRAIGHT but not extremely FLAT.. Err. I dunno if you say so in english, but flat and straight isn't the same..

However I won't abuse this thread no longer with my idiotism :lol:

11. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

It was straight, but not flat. concave = (

12. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

That is also a classic.. How'a bout The Crawling Eye no actual "crawling eyes" more like a floating one.. but great fun just the same.
    The only to get a star rating is for members to vote (I think you need 3 for it to show-up). Very few people vote. BUT you have my vote..

13. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Love the positioning of the res :D Looks really good m8, keep it up.

14. LOTTARO

LOTTARO What's a Dremel?

I love that case! keep the good work!

15. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Forgot about the "The Crawling Eye"! That was a cool one. 50's and 60's Sci-Fi was some of the best. :cooldude: Been looking at my "stars" and it sure seems to fluctuate! It has gone from 5 > 4 > 3 > 4 and I think it is now back at 3. But, no matter as I just am having fun. :D

16. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Well I am thinking of adding another Aquatube :jawdrop: instead of the AquaInlet. Just can't figure out where to put it so the case doesn't end up looking busy. It would have to go somewhere down in the front bottom compartment. Anyone got any cool ideas?

17. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Need help with window design

Figure it is time to start thinking about having my side panels sent out to be water cut. Been thinking of some kind of shark theme (part of the Feeding Frenzy thing lol). On the business side of the case I was thinking of a shark fin with water underneath in a shaped window. The idea is to have it cut so the bottom of the case cuts would simulate the look of waves and the shark fin rising up out of the waves and showing roughly a triangular section of the case side. Have been thinking of also adding in a real water subsection at the bottom of the case side where the wave cuts would be.

The non-business side would just have the window showing only the bottom compartment of the case and would also have a water wall in place. Am I getting too crazy? See any insurmountable problems here? Feedback appreciated. :D

18. Jipa

Where's all updates :( I wan't to see pics and cats and barefeet :lol: :D It's again 5:20 AM and I haven't slept.

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

A shark fin would be pretty cool, definately different. And as a bonus, it would tend to hide the wiring coming from drives towards the top and show off the graphics area, assuming it's going that direction.

20. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

How about a shark fin with real water? :naughty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.