1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Fermi High End Owners Club (ATi enter @ Risk)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AoE, 30 Jan 2012.

1. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

Are you worried about the results you're able to yield from Lost Planet 2 or 3DMark 11?

I'm not.

And you're right, historically some cards have suffered micro stuttering, on both sides. In fact, back in the day I remember when I had 2x GeForce 8600GTSes I had to remove the SLI bridge for them to work properly.

I shan't be biased though, both sides have had these issues, but it's fair to say neither the 580 nor 7970 have these issues any more :D

Last edited: 31 Jan 2012
  2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

:rolleyes: Benchmarks do not reflect real world gaming performance...

3. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

I'm confused.

Either benchmarks don't count and you can't consider the Crysis results we got the other week, or they do, and we'll compare 3DMark 11 and Lost Planet 2 results.

You can't hav your cake and eat it matey :thumb:

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No, benchmarks don't reflect real world gaming performance, but at the same time, they are the best repeatable metric for comparing the potential power of your systems hardware under correctly optimised software.

Whoever has the highest benchmark score, wins!

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Can I join in this elitist club with my 470? :D It's technically high end Fermi lol

6. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

If I change the sticker can my HD7970 enter in drag?

Its a super dooper party pooper special edition GTX585 :D

7. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

No you can't so bugger off....! :D

8. noizdaemon666

Don't make me come up there flame696 *waves fist angrily* lol Me thinks I need to modify the cooling on it to get the best overclock out of it though.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i entered this thread thinking it was created November 2010, 15 months ago, since that's when i bought my 580.

can't believe there people here trying to comparing a 15 months old GPU against a brand new GPU, it's this kind of thing that makes me feel great about my purchase, made 15 months ago. :p

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Let s just put it this way, me and Batman have got the funds to buy either top end cards, but we both from experience with CF went with what works. And for a yr old architecture it holds it own...

Do you really think, that if I thought HD7970 in CF was that good, that I would have bought the cards? Urm, yes I would have. AlexB Conveinced me otherwise after seeing his HD6970 CF results, which shows how AMD CF drivers lack the support and are very badly optimised.

It is easy to optimise drivers for a benchmark, and use the marketing deloy of 'Look how fast this card is' yeah great score for a benchmark, but it doesn't reflect real world gaming performance.

Hands down the HD7970 is faster than a GTX 580, and so it should be after competing with 'over a 1yr old architecture' But in reality the performance jump isn't that great.

Single GPU is not a option at my res, and being a enthusiast gamer, I want maximum eye candy.
    So this is were CF and SLI scaling is a must. Drivers need to be very optimised.
    I know SLI works very well in Mutli threaded games. (Skyrim and TDU2 Don't support CF or SLI).

This is why I want real world gaming test done, so we can see the real results. I don't want to be playing a game and fine it's running 60fps and then to drop to below 25fps because drivers are not optimised, as this is clearly not smooth game play.
    So it's not the case of 'wow I got 120fps for like 2 seconds and my min is 24fps but my average is only 40fps say' its about how consistent the FPS are. If I can play a game at 60fps and it doesn't drop from 60fps, that is a very smooth running game.

11. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

That's why I'm suggesting the Lost Planet 2 bench.

It's an in game benchmark, which produces a graph demonstrating min and max framerates not just average, therby fulfilling your criteria.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

What's a 7970 got to do with a "Fermi High End Owners Club"?

Oh, willy waving.

@izools, you said yourself you didn't want to make this another willy waving contest, which is exactly what you're doing. Kindly PO and yourself and whomever else wants can promenade your AMD e-peens in another thread. :thumb:

I was thinking 470/480 and 570/580 when I suggested the thread title. :)

13. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

This whole thread is about willy waving and you can already see the malice in some replies as they try and make their retort to those who dare challenge them. Not good for the community and very 'playground' if you ask me.

14. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

Look, the 580 is a very good card. As the 7970.

I don't want to willy wave but TG is mistaken and I'm merely trying to set the record straight.

As this isn't being taken kindly I will gracefully bow out and leave this thread to it.

I would however appreciate at some point the results of in game benchmarks from TG, probably best in the other thread. Not because I want to show off, just to ensure that there aren't any errors in perception :thumb:

15. noizdaemon666

Maybe everyone should gift me their super high end graphics cards, I won't willy wave about them :D

On a more serious note, willy waving aside (it's cold where I work and my colleagues are giving me funny looks :naughty: lol) this could be a good thread to do benchmarking/fraps in to see how different Fermi cards perform and how far they can be pushed. It could also determine if and when CPUs are the limiting factor. Did someone say Pookeyhead needs to make a spreadsheet? :p lol

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

No it's not - it's a club for people who have high end Fermi cards. Willy waving is what izools is doing: " LOOK MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS!" Aside from the annoying, inane AMD vs Nvidia warfare, there is no willy waving here. And I don't see any malice, just what could be a great thread potentially becoming another AMD vs Nvidia bitching contest. /rant

I'm not trying to get at you particularly mate but you are definitely getting on TG's nerves which is why I said what I said. He has a thread which would be a great place to take the comparison, and I would be interested to see the results.

This, as a Fermi thread, is not the place for comparisons between hardware from two different manufacturers. It could (and should) be a great place for Fermi owners to battle it out amongst themselves, civilly and respectfully. :thumb:

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I have to agree that this thread is purely about epeen.
    Just an excuse to show off what some people have got and remind other's they haven't IMO.

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so........ this thread is a club for people who have high end Fermi cards willy waving at passer bys saying " LOOK MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS!"

:confused:

i agree with the rant in general section. this kind of club thread is really pointless.

19. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you don't see any malice in the replies on this page, then I urge you to read again Lenny. There are comments made designed to make others feel stupid and inadequate. That is malicious.

Secondly, TG is a big boy. He doesn't need anyone to go around ankle biting for him. So what if someone questioned his opinion? He isn't the oracle, and neither are any of us. We're here to help each other out, so let's play nice eh?

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm not defending TG nor am I ankle biting for anybody; I speak for myself when I say it's boring and I'm fed up of all the whinging that inevitably follows these banal and trite AMD / Nvidia battles.

This thread is not the place to bicker about which is faster, neither should it be used as an excuse to complain that people who have nice hardware are flaunting it. If you have a high end Fermi card, post here and share your results; if you don't have a high end Fermi card, don't dump on the guys who do.

Somebody starts a thread about a nice new graphics card, and lots of people complain. THAT is childish.