1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Fiberoptic Networking,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RClivin, 24 Aug 2004.

1. RClivin

RClivin What's a Dremel?

Guys I feel Stupid, LOL
    Ok,
    I work at a Fiberoptic Supplier and can get fiberoptics for cost, I want to set up a Fiberoptic network in the office but have no idea how I would do it,
    So any help would be appricated,
    PS LOL The boss is my father so if any of you need fiberoptic products gimmie a PM Ill Hook you up LOL :naughty: :thumb:

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Have a peek at this
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/index.html

Im no expert on fiber optic networking, but iirc, fiber optics are usually run between routers and possibly switches. If you have that big of a network where Fiber is required then go for it, but other wise a gigabit connection between routers is all you need imo.

Edit: just looking at some of the fiber products.... 960 Gb/s :jawdrop:
    just amagine the price tag on that?!

2nd edit: Sorry to burst you bubble, but i don't think theres such a thing as end user optical networking, Optical networks are used to carry large amounts of traffic and unless you have 1000+ PCs on your network, i suggest dropping the idea. Get gigabit products and setup Vlans where required.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2004
  3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

960GBps? You'll fill up an entire HDD in seconds (if it wrote at a high speed)

But I have seen on TV two computers connected through fibre-optics, but it costs a eck of a lot per metre!

4. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

its Gb/s (around 120 GB/s) and its a product designed to connect very large city wide networks.

MrWillyWonka: Do they make fiber network cards or were they using a fiber to ethernet thing-a-mah-jig?

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

pointless
    gigabit will max most hard drives anyway
    fibre optic is for big backbones etc
    like the phone/internet connections between the US and the UK/europe are fibre optic :)

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

it was fibre-to-ethernet, instead of one single ethernet port, they actually used two for each computer, probably because each ethernet port wouldnt handle so much data from one wire (the wire spllit).

But thinking now, it could be two computers connected via two separate networks, so you may only need one fibre-to-ethernet port? I saw it on TV about a year ago, so I cant remember everything!

BTW, let me point out, it looks really like an ethernet port, but I cant be 100% that it IS an ethernet port!

EDIT: Looking on google, I think they do make fibre-optic network cards - here, however they look nothing like what I saw on TV

7. mushky

mushky gimme snails

There is no point in you doing it from the sounds of things. It sounds like you only have a small network. You can even run gigabit ethernet over cat5e so there is no reason for you to use fibre.

I have seen network cards with fibre connectors on them. You can also get media converters to switch between copper and fibre with little fuss but you have no need for that either. You would be better off learning about simple TCP/IP.

8. RClivin

RClivin What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the help guys, and Suggestions along with links.

9. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Btw to enlighetn you guys. They use two fiber chanels because that way they can get full duplex comunication. (theoreticaly 2gigabits) and the fiberoptic nics are gigabit nics. You are better off using copper wire gigabit. For its flexibility and cost. Seting up fiberptic networks is not practical as it would not be very flexible. I would use gagabit between switches but not between a switch and pc.

If you want a fast network. Use plenty of gagabit switches and nics and have em conect in a circular manner(forget the word) but it looks like a spider web. It also provides the maximum reliability.

10. jake

jake Network Gawd

Fibre into the dektop is eminently possible, all you need is the approriate Gigabit NIC or Fastethernet NIC and a hub with fibre connectors and some fibre patch leads and you're away.

Also another point. Fibre optics don't need to be run at gigabit speeds. There are line drivers and interface cards that use 10/100/1000/10000 Mb/s ethernet framing depending on the application required [and then of course there is 4/16 Mb/s Token Ring, 100Mb/s FDDI and various other protocols all the way up to terabit speeds in some MUXes]. Fibre rather than copper is often used in factory environments where there is a lot of EM noise that would degrade the performance of even shielded copper to unacceptable levels.

J

11. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

IIRC the firbe cable is cheap its just making the connections at each end due.

My old college installed fibre when they installed cat6 just coz it was so cheap and if/when fibre becomes the norm they won't have to rip apart walls again.

12. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

actuyaly on a campus the reason to use fiber is that they have a more robust network not necesarily cheeper or faster.
    The problem with copper media is that all devices have to have the same ground or else the network goes haywaire. The problem with copper media is that it measures bits agains its 5v and grnd pins to determine a bit. But sine no ground is exactly 0v it may mesure a 0 as a 1 or vice versa if they run em between buildings. So fiber eliminates the need for filters and such implemented in large networks (2buildings+). Fiber may take over backbones in full but I dont think its flexible enugh to implement between switches and pc's yet.

My other 2c

13. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

yeah I agree. They just did it due to it being cheap to do and cuts down on having to get builders in to make holes in walls etc.

For the moment with getting 1000Mbps on copper the only place I've seen fibre is backbones and connections between servers and switchs

14. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Ok, I wasnt gonna say anything, but it bugged me, so here I am...

You can get fiber to servers (user end), the speed the hard disk writes at has bugger all to do with it (in most cases), in a beowulf for example, you'd want fiber between each node to match the bus and ram operation speeds of each node. The hard disks wouldnt really need to do much. Another example of use would be in SANs, although a single node within the SAN cant handle the speed, the cluster would, and a cluster is considered for the most part as "one machine".

Just felt compelled to clear up this "you cant use fiber to network end machines, just routers".

Ta :)

Tags: