1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Computer Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hydro_electric_655, 15 Aug 2006.

1. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Ok on my dime I need to make money count. I don't hardcore game I need to spend more tiem on school work anyways. Plus HL2 freaks me out. Just needs to do SC well as well as vids. and music.

So here it is.

Lian Li V COOL PC-V1000 Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    Model #: PC-V1000
    Item #: N82E16811112051

In Stock
    ASUS CROSSHAIR Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    Model #: CROSSHAIR
    Item #: N82E16813131593

In Stock
    XFX PV-T73G-UDD3 Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    Model #: PV-T73G-UDD3
    Item #: N82E16814150140

In Stock
    HIPER HPU-4S580-MS ATX12V 580W Power Supply - Retail
    Model #: HPU-4S580-MS
    Item #: N82E16817128003

In Stock
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2000MHz HT Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800IAA5CU - Retail
    Model #: ADA3800CUBOX
    Item #: N82E16819103735
    ** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only. what's this?
    In Stock
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KSRTL 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail
    Model #: WD2500KSRTL
    Item #: N82E16822136037

In Stock
    Logitech G15 2-Tone USB Wired Standard Keyboard - Retail
    Model #: 967599-0403
    Item #: N82E16823126179

In Stock
    Logitech G5 Laser 931376-0403 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Laser Mouse - Retail
    Model #: 931376-0403
    Item #: N82E16826104191

In Stock
    NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Silver IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM
    Model #: ND-3550A SV OEM
    Item #: N82E16827152060

In Stock
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
    Model #: 70SB046000007
    Item #: N82E16829102188
    In Stock
    ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2 2 Ball Green LED Light CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail
    Model #: CNPS 9500 AM2
    Item #: N82E16835118004

In Stock
    Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F (1,600rpm) 120mm S-FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing by SONY Corporation) Case Cooling Fan - Retail
    Model #: S-FLEX SFF21F
    Item #: N82E16835185006

In Stock
    Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail
    Model #: 970115-0403
    Item #: N82E16836121120
    In Stock

$1,636.86
    $1,835.10 with tax and shipping

This would be the basic layout and will need a monitor but Am try to keep initiall price down and think that would be something I could cut and fell ok about.

Check out this hot looking New Mobo Sexy CrossHair

Last edited: 17 Aug 2006
  2. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Since you've got to pay tax, go to Circuit City for the monitor. I believe it's $299 this week, and you then have the ability to return it if it has only a few broken pixels.

Also, a $2600 is nothing to sneeze at, but if you want to make every penny count, you've got to rethink several of your choices.

You're paying $11 for the Arctic Silver, after shipping. See if you can get it locally for cheaper.

Also, get this HD instead of the one you chose. It's the same one, but in OEM form as opposed to retail. The difference= better warranty for $55 less. Your mobo should come with SATA cables (you're paying enough for it), and your case should come with more than enough screws.

It looks like a solid build, but you say you're not a hardcore gamer while your choices say otherwise.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You dont game, yet are forking out for a 7900GT? 7600 or X1600 is probably more for you, even on a 20.1

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Yeah a lot of that equipment is catered to gaming, so I don't see why you need it.
    Change the 7900GT for a 7300GT if you're not gaming, and you can probably change the keyboard and mouse as well.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

$175 tax?! I'm moving to america.

Looks like a good build, taking into account the changes people have suggested.

6. Stuey

That's only b/c he lives in California. If I were ordering the system, it would be tax free. :rock:

7. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Woo yeah! I think 47 of the states don't charge for tax when ordering stuff online.

8. kingdavies

kingdavies Minimodder

Looks a good system but I wouldn't have thought a 450W PSU would be enough

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd throw the G15 away tbh, get a normal, 10$ keyboard and you'll still be fine... :)

10. hydro_electric_655

Ok Fry's is Sh*t but I dropped the artic silver and got the OEM harddrive saved 100 on the 7600GT instead of the 7900GT. This was just a general idea of whats needed. I usually tend to over do it so your guy's opinions on what would be good really help me save myself some cash. Now stuey can I vacation at your house and send the PC to you then take it home with me? :D

Okay heres a serious question. I can't buy everything from one place except newegg so I am thinking that I will pick the monitor up at a bestbuy or some other local store that stocks it. Probably bestbuy they have fare prices. SO now that I edited it. Any ideas that will help me lower the cost but be able to expirement with OC'ing?

Last edited: 15 Aug 2006
  11. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

You gotta deal search around. Like the X-fi. A local computer OEM part store is selling the Extreme Music for that price + a MIR, and a $40 store gift certificate, which could probably go to use on a cooler or something, bringing the card price down to $50 CAD!

Aside from your speakers, and motherboard, I see no reason why your system costs so much. Even then, if you're not gaming, do you really need all that stuff?

As for the motherboard, couldn't you settle for something cheaper? If you're getting an X-Fi, good integrated sound would be redundant, etc.

Rethink some of your parts. Unless you're keen on spending that much, then all the more power to you.

12. hydro_electric_655

There isn't an onboard sound card. There is a PCI E 1x that comes with it but I question the quality of sound since I am a music buff. Also I don't exactly have the liberty of driving around elextronics stores to find good deals and stores that carry what i need. Plus I think I mentioned that this was just a list I was able to make easily online and would when I got a chance head out to some local stores.

13. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

In that case, will an X-Fi Extreme Music be enough?

14. hydro_electric_655

Ya it is the same as The platinum or the fatality. So I don't need the other stuff that comes with those 2. I think it will be perfect unless you are in fact being sarcastic.

15. hydro_electric_655

Just Bumpin for opinions.

16. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Just the slightest...

The only reason why I don't agree with most of your components, is because they are either very expensive (which I personally wouldn't consider), or because from what you said about your usage (not a hardcore gamer etc.), a lot of that hardware is just a waste, and you could save a lot more money, and use it on other components that would matter more to you, or spend it on whatever non-computer hobbies you might practise. Save it up even - but bottom line is - most of those pricey components, you will end up wasting.

Such as - why the Crosshair board? You're not overclocking, nor do you need all those other features.

Why a 7600? You're not gaming.

Why not a Conroe system? With a little overclocking, or even just stock, you could build a machine that could rip through any sort of editting you throw at it - all on stock cooling.

Of course, those are just my opinions. I've always managed to built my machines at super low prices, or almost below cost, from the deals I scour around for.

17. Stuey

Why are you purchasing another case fan? It'll run you $22 or so (I rounded up on the salex tax).

The case you're buying (which is kind of costly for a case anyways, but justifiable) already includes two 120mm case fans.

In my experience, onboard audio is pretty decent. I have digital optical and analog stereo output from one, and digital coax from another. However, equalizations have to be fiddled with and disabled, but that's a driver and software utility issue.

Also, if you're adding a non-stock heatsink, you're going to still want the Arctic Silver. Just try to find a place where shipping won't double the final cost of the product.

Your description still shows a retail HD. You should put links in for the products so we don't have to enter product numbers to look at the individual product prices, and you should consider a retail version optical drive. Why? Retail optical drives will have burning software and DVD movie decoding software (WinDVD or PowerDVD), whereas the OEM won't.

I don't know about the current generation of video cards, but a mid-level card like the one you currently selected should be good for occasional or semi-frequent gaming.

If you're purchasing a 19" or larger monitor, you should connect it via DVI cable. If the monitor doesn't come with one, then you'll have to buy one. I prefer Belkin's PureAV line since it's plenty durable, but some people accept nothing but the cheapest cables while others accept nothing but the costliest.

By the way, in the first post, you say you need it for SC. I have some ideas, but a little confused as to what exactly you're referring to.

Also, with respect to motherboards, do as you please. When I built my system, I used the $175 Abit MaxIII. Why? Because it had heatsinks and a small fan by the power mosfets and had digital audio, and did away with parallel and serial ports which I'd never use. Sure it came with other features I didn't want or need (extra SATA ports, special IDE encryption card), but no other mobo quite fit the bill. On another build, I used a $100 Asus board which wasn't a champion but no slouch either. If you're spending 2 grand, saving $50 by getting a different mobo won't be a huge difference, but it'll help. Similarly, if you compromise a little - no biggie, but if you compromise a lot - you might regret it.

18. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I'm a fan of the cheapest cables. A cable is a cable. As long as electricity passes through them, it works. I never understand why audiophiles get the thousand dollar cables. The recording studio probably uses s***ty cables, and CD/vinyl is probably bottlenecking it anyways. Same for computers. It's not like any special care is used to make the finest PCB pathways.

But yes, a DVI cable is good. I use a gold plated BestBuy one (Dynex?), since I know someone who works there that could get the price down from $50 to $6.

How they markup the accessories...

19. kingdavies

kingdavies Minimodder

I would save a bit and get the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe instead of the ASUS CROSSHAIR its the same but without the EL I/O, Onboard LED, LCD Poster and Onboard Switch which are all nice features but IMO are more of a novelty than a useful feature, with the possible exception of the LCD Poster .

Last edited: 17 Aug 2006
  20. Stuey

The thing is, cable qualities do vary. I purchased cheapo cables and after I opened the package it said that there was a coating that provided the EM shielding and after I handled it, I had to wash my hands b/c the stuff was known to California to cause cancer. In other words, they powdered the cable to shield it from interference. Plus it felt flimsy as hell. I went straight back that day and returned it.

While I will admit to say I've used Monster Cable products in the past, I tried to get them on a discount, and I recognize that they are heavily marked up. BUT they do offer superor shielding and have very durable jackets which have lasted through all my abuse.

I've seen DVI cables which are a quarter of an inch think, and I have the PureAV one which is half an inch think. It really does make a difference when you're as abusive on your stuff as I am.

It's like saying that all power supplys are alike. If you've got a raidmax PSU and a PC P&C PSU, you're going to see differences in operation. BUT, the PC P&C one is overkill for most, so it's best to find a compromise (let's say with an Antec) which will definitely provide advantages while not break the bank.

With digital cables, shielding is less important, but enough interference can cause bits to drop in intensity, and a cable with poor shielding will also affect everything else around it.