1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Final Fantasy - London Symphony Orchestra

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by law99, 15 Mar 2015.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I listen to 3 radio stations normally.

• Radio 4 - comedy and news
    • Radio 3 - relaxing drive
    • Jack FM - guilty

Anyway, whilst driving to pick up my partner and co form town yesterday, I was in BBC Radio 3 mode, and they were talking about video game music.

Turns out the London Symphony orchestra have done some Final Fantasy music in recent times.

Called Final Symphony, it certainly brings back some memories. It is mostly based upon the music in the game, being from Nobuo Uematsu.

Thought I'd share anyway. I'm rocking it out on my spotify now.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/4Cjk7WTdpJjVqEOrkGS1JW

:rock:

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Final Symphony is...alright. It's nice to have some new mixes/reimaginings of some of the classic music, but I found the album left me a little cold apart from some moments.

If you're a Final Fantasy fan I massively recommend A New World - Intimate Music from Final Fantasy. It was recorded live at LSO St Luke's in 2014, which was an absolutely amazing venue. Arnie Roth conducted a small group of musicians (and played himself!) to an audience including myself of about 400...which also included Nobuo Uematsu who performed on Dark World. The track list has literally no filler and every single piece is fantastic.

Stream here, also on Spotify and disc.

As an aside, Distant Worlds I & II are also brilliant. Not as happy with III though.

law99 likes this.
  3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Cool. Nice to check out some more.

As a fan, VII is the FF I played the most really. As in, I re-played it the whole way through as recently as a couple of years ago. Will probably play it through again in the coming years also.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm currently bashing my way through my ?twelfth playthrough of VIII whilst waiting for Type-0 to arrive on the 20th. On the side I'm also casually levelling in the X HD remaster. Completed VI (for the millionth time) a month or so back. Literally cannot overstate my love for Aria di Mezzo Carattere, in both original and orchestral forms. I even found this amazing amateur effort.

Oh, this also might make you green.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes. That's the ultra-limited FF Vinyls set, signed by Arnie Rothe, Nobuo Uematsu and Benyamin Nuss (pianist). Also the limited FF VII OST on picture vinyls. I also have signed copies of Distant Worlds, FF: The Celebration and various other bits and bobs. Outside of signed stuff, I have...basically every single OST they've released.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2015
  5. rollo

rollo Modder

Think ive finally finished with ff7 even grinded out level 100 characters just to face super sephiroth. ff13 and ff13 x2 are both long games if a bit A-B in ff13s case. People say ffx is the best in recent years not sure i entirely agree its as much A-B as ff13 is and is alot easier to overlevel the boss fights than the later game is.

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Hello no. FF XII is the best in "recent" years and I hope they give it the HD remaster treatment they did for X and X-2.

XIII and XIII-2 weren't as bad as the internet makes out. XIII was linear as hell for a long while, but apart from that it was still fun. Linearity is actually an integral part of the vast majority of RPGs, simply because that is what the story dictates. Giving somebody a world map doesn't mean it isn't linear - you're still constrained on where you can go. FF VII is a prime example - until you get the Highwind you have to follow a strict path with only a few opportunities for slight deviation.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

ff12 was to hard for the masses and probably wont see a remake enough id buy one if it did.

8. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

My wife had the Elaine Page Sunday show on a few months ago - normally she's rehashing songs from the musicals but they'd obviously decided to branch out - into video games! Elaine Page talking about Halo 3 was like hearing a monkey talk about aerodynamics! Missed the best one too (Babu Yetu by Christopher Tin from Civ 4 if you're interested -IMHO)

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

You are right, I am envious.

Haven't had time to listen to the A New World yet, but looking forward to it.