1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Finally Time For a Mech Keyboard :D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukeDaly, 25 Jul 2012.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I had some fun with them, I haven't tested them in the long term but if my memory serves me right, they're somewhat reminiscient of IBM Model M buckling springs minus the pinging noise. So it's just a click and a tactile bump.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

O rings won't help with the click I am afraid!

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Well-Known Member

O rings silence the clack you get where the key hits the bottom of the keyboard if you press all the way down. It sticks a cushion there basically. Every switch makes that clack.

Blues have an EXTRA click halfway down the keypress where you reach the tactile bump, and that can't be silenced.

4. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Thanks for the info, how did you find Blue for gaming?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

5. longweight

I find blues to be quite annoying whilst gaming, the audible click and tactile bump break the immersion for me, I much prefer browns for gaming.

6. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

it seems alot of people prefer brown then :) maybe I should go for them :) now to go watch some reviews on mech boards :) atm its between Filco and Ducky Shining :)

7. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

On the other hand, I've been fine with Blues. I've got two Filco's with Blues, a TKL and and Full size, and I have no problem gaming with them at all. I do wear headphones though so don't really notice the clicking. What clicking I do hear, I'm used to and tune it out.
    The other thing to bear in mind is that unless you're playing starcraft at pro level, the amount of keys that you'll be pressing is significantly less than when typing. I bottom out a lot less when gaming as well.

In reality, any well made mechanical will be far superior to a rubber dome keyboard and is satisfying to use and type with. The only reason I know I don't like blacks is because I've tried them and don't like the weight compared to Blues. If I'd had Blacks first I wouldn't have that comparison and would probably love them.

8. hamza_tm

They were not as good as other options. The loose feeling before the click and also the fact that the activation point is quite low in the keypress means that it doesn't feel as nice as other switches.

That said, you can get used to any switch if you use it for a while. Blues definitely worked for gaming, but resulted in slight annoyances.

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Just to throw it in the mix it is pretty easy to add led's to any cherry board, the only thing you would be missing is keycaps that allow the light to shine through the lettering. Having said that the ducky shines are supposed to be good boards so if backlighting is a big factor I'm sure you'd be happy with one

10. hamza_tm

Is it honestly easy to add LEDs? Have you seen it done - what method were you thinking about?

11. [PUNK] crompers

Cherry mx switches have two little holes on them and you can slot an LED into them easily. If you google there are examples of people adding leds to standard cherry mx switches

12. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

yeah, I have been spending a lot of time trying to find the right mechanical board and the Ducky and Filco were the ones that always came back up, I have a red and black rig - so ill maybe get the TKL shine with brown switch's and red or white Led's :)

On that I intend to swap all the led's out for RGB leds so I can use software to adjust the colour :)
    but that's for another date :p

Is there a separate keypad I can buy that match's the shine? The same way that Filco has a separate pad? Thanks for the help.

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

They are easy to add but you also have to power them. Most backlit boards have extra traces to power the LEDs. If it's a non-backlit board I highly doubt the company is going to spend extra on the PCB to add traces but not the LEDs. So to add LEDs yourself you have to wire every LED yourself, which = a rats nest behind your PCB. Also, the switch may have holes for the LEDs, but the PCB may not have holes to support LEDs.

14. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

I would just swap the regular led's with RGB leds on the shine?

15. The_Beast

That should be easy since it already has the traces for the LEDS, but it will require a lot of de-soldering and re-soldering.

PUNK was talking about adding LEDs to a board that didn't already have LEDs. That is what I was talking about in that quote ;D

16. longweight

Depends on the forward voltage, blue is generally quite high so you should be ok swapping it to another LED :)

17. hamza_tm

Yeah but soldering leds in general is a pain, they damage easily.

And like longweight said, you have to take into account voltages. As well as wire thickness, solder used, etc

18. [PUNK] crompers

Ok The Beast thanks I stand corrected. I thought power was provided through the switch. Apologies if I mislead at all OP

19. The_Beast

Yup, I total forgot about voltages

No worries bro, it's all about learning :D (lysol teaches me something new every time he post)

20. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Does anybody know if i can get a uk layout ducky shine? :)