1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics finding gainward 9800gt golden sample

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bad_cancer, 22 Jun 2009.

1. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Hello,

i'm in a bit of a fix.

I bought a gainward 9800gt golden sample a while back. with the original intention of going sli with it. so the place that i bought it from assured me that they would find another one if i wanted to go sli later on.

Now it appears that they are not living up to their claim and that they do not have any golden samples and they don't know if they can find them. :wallbash:

So i am left with 2 options here:

1) Try and find it off the net somewhere that ships to mauritius.
    2) use a normal 9800gt to sli it with.

The problem with the first one is that i can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them and that ships here.

The second one is that the cards don't look at all the same (which sucks) and that the golden sample is stock overclocked and has a great cooler on it. It also overclocks better and easier than the standard sample.

So i was wondering if anyone can help me find a place that not only has a golden sample, but that ships here (anywhere international)?

If that fails, can i sli a normal and an overclocked card together?

Thanks in advance!

:EDIT:

Golden Sample:
    [​IMG]

Standard version:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Jun 2009
  2. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I know having two graphics cards looks cool but unless you are planning to connect four monitors to your computer why not sell the 9800 and buy a GTX 260/275? A single more powerful card is usually better than two lower cards in SLI.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

That really is a shame, but as said above, you'll see better gains by upgrading to a GTX 2XX card, or waiting for whatever comes out later this year.

Or you could just pay through the nose and import one yourself.. The Golden Sample's cooler looks sick nasty.

4. Bad_cancer

Well i can agree with that logic, but bought it recently so i would like to keep it a while longer.

It is as performant as a 9800gtx when pushed a bit. If i have two in sli isnt it better than a gtx 260? they also have 1gb ram on the card.

5. Bad_cancer

I dont mind importing one myself, but i don't know where to buy them from. :sigh:

Also buying anything above a gtx260 might be awesomely expensive for me. because putting it salary wise,

the 9800gt is half my monthly salary, the gtx280 is bout 1.5x my salary and a gtx 295 is 2.2x my salary.

(i do have a good job and salary, its just the exchange rates that suck :sigh:)

:EDIT:
    Yes it looks sick! its also awesome, i overclocked it to the max and ran an oc stress test and it stayed in the 60°c and the fan hardly span up very high. :thumb:

Last edited: 22 Jun 2009