1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress FINISHED Redefined

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MetallicAcid, 9 Nov 2014.

1. MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid What's a Dremel?

Thank you Iraklis! :clap:

/Justin

2. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Your leather work is looking great! can't wait to see this one finished. Big fan of the 240 case.

J.

3. MetallicAcid

Awesome Joe, thanks! The build is nearing completion and OH MY GOD, IT LOOKS SO HOT! ;)

/Justin

4. MetallicAcid

Sponsored by

[​IMG]

Update No.9
    Painting and modding

Well hello there again, and welcome to a massive update!!

It feels like I am starting to round up things with this project, but I still have a few updates and surprises in store for you all. But firstly, this update..

Well then, to begin with, I did something special with the SSD as a thank you for the sponsorship.

[​IMG]

Then I painted and sleeved a couple of fans..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then the ASUS Z97 Gryphon armor got a lick of the ol' white!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed the power button:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly modded the Corsair H100i to fit the theme..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you like the update guys, and soon I will have another update for you all to chew on ;)

Kind regards,
    Justin "MetallicAcid" Ohlsen

5. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Leather on a CPU block has to be a first. Nice!

6. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

^ haven't seen that before either
    looks nice - and finally an update!
    don't take as long for the next one :nono:

*edit*
    we need our fix, dude!

7. MetallicAcid

:) Pushing the boundaries.... Or trying too at least :D

Hehe ;) and here I thought I was updating frequently! :D

/Justin

8. Iraklis Gkolios

Iraklis Gkolios Minimodder

The camo/white on motherboard looks sweet.

They only suggestion id make is on fans (id prefer stming like brown ring and white fan blades). But on the other hand, you are MetallicAcid, so astonish us all.

Cheers

Iraklis

9. onevoicewild

onevoicewild What's a Dremel?

Now we see your softer side Justin. lol You'll have to make up for this transgression with spikes on a future build!

10. MetallicAcid

Thanks for the tip Iraklis. I have been considering painting the ring a yellow to match the leather. I just have to find the right paint :)

A PC mod based on hell perhaps?

/J

11. MetallicAcid

Sponsored by

[​IMG]

Update No.10
    Random images of everything I am working on at the same time :)

Hey guys and girls!
    It has been a few weeks since my last update, and I am sorry for the delay. I had some time off with my family over Xmas and New Years, and have been at home with my daughter who was to sick for preschool. But now I have an update :D

This update is all about randomness. I have been working on all of these little odd jobs, and details which certainly go toward making this PC truly unique. I am in the final stages of cutting, drilling, sanding and filing, and have now almost completed the painting of all fabricated panels. I have not had time to properly document everything as I usually do as I am wanting to finish this project, and start on my next project using In Win's S-Frame.

Some updates on hardware being used in this project: Asus Strix GTX970 4GB and Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866mhz 16GB (4x4GB). They are being painted and modded to match the design accordingly ;)

Free standing GPU.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sexy RAM before modification.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strix painted GPU shroud with some custom metal detail work. More to come with this in future update.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have some surprises to come, so I hope everyone is still invested in this project!! ;) :)

BTW, this is something that I have in store for the next upcoming project:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With best wishes,

12. Zoyadog

Zoyadog What's a Dremel?

The S-frame renderings looks soooo good! Cant wait for that project!

13. MetallicAcid

Cheers Zoya! :)

/J

14. MetallicAcid

Sponsored by

[​IMG]

Update No.11
    Crazy randomness just before the project is completed.

Hello everyone! Well I have been hard at work again trying to put the finishing touches on the last details of my Redefined project. A photo bomb is coming your way, and I will try my best to explain what is going on for each image :)

In the time that I have been modding, I have come to realise that the devil is in the details. I am trying to make all of these little details "pop" and stand out, or blend in so that I have a uniform and strong design.

Hope you enjoy!

Here I remade the panel which sits beside the motherboard. The design will have holes for the 24pin, 8pin GPU and SSD.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the custom PCIE riser support which is pop riveted onto the bottom panel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The custom back panel in primer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This PCIE riser has green PCB and blue isolating tape. This was fixed by painting the PCB and using black electrical tape to cover up the blue tape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SSD installed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front panel button cables which enter through a hole behind the motherboard, and come out to be connected up.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see that I have routed the excessively long H100i USB cable underneath the armour of the Z97 Gryphon. The end of the cable is covered in black electrical tape, but turned out looking like rubbish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New back panel is installed and motherboard IO is painted. This is the main support for the GPU, which directly screws onto this plate. The back panel is finished with black countersunk screws.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painting the thumb screws black which belong to the H100i.
    [​IMG]

An overview image of the installation thus far.
    [​IMG]

I will be building the rest of Redefined tomorrow, which means that I will hopefully have some final images for you by the end of this week. Also, do you think that I should install LEDs?

Thanks for reading guys and girls :)

Kind regards,

15. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

That is most definitly redifining the case, in an amazing way. I especially like your stand-alone gfx holder. In terms of LEDs I think a subtle white LED, juuuust to highlight edges, would look amazing ;)

16. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

After just picking up one of these cases, I can appreciate the mods SO much more now. I'm NOT a fan of the case AT ALL, but you've solved some of it's major problems, especially that AWFUL GPU clasp mount thing. Yuck! Great job Justin!

17. TadZilla

TadZilla tadbitnerdy

Awesome job! I really like the leather and free-standing GPU. Now, finish it! :)

18. MetallicAcid

Thanks for the lighting input. I am still not sold on lighting it up though. We will see :) I guess that the name of this project is fitting then? ;)

Haha. Well my vertical GPU solution was only born out the realization that the GPU was too tall to fit in the case. I personally think that the low clearance was a design flaw by Corsair which automatically eliminates half of the market when it comes to GPU selection. I mean, why paint yourself into a corner and limit your users to only a certain type of GPU cooler? Stupidity. Regardless of my rant, I am pleased with the results, and cannot wait to get some final shots of this nearly completed project.

Working on it my friend. Just have to move the PCIE riser stand 3mm to the right, install some motherboard badges, then install the PSU. Shouldn't take more than 4 hours if I am slow ;)

/J

19. MetallicAcid

Sponsored by

[​IMG]

Update No.12
    Further progress on final touches.

Why G'day folks! ;)

Just another quick update to show you some sponsored Corsair Dominator White 1866mhz 16GB RAM, and some custom metal panels on the ASUS Strix GTX970! Enjoy ;)

Plastidipped Corsair Platinum RAM, which had a final coat of normal white paint to match the rest of the repainted chassis:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the custom metal plates, plus an engraved badge which says Redefined. The badge has been further engraved and now sports a deeper and more detailed logo. More images of this coming soon :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now silly me forgot to take my camera to work today, so I couldn't document anything that I had done. I promise to take the camera tomorrow, and get some shots of the current progress before I continue. I plan on having the PC complete before this weekend ;)

Thanks for reading, and hope to see you all in the next update. Please feel free to let me know what you think!!

Kind regards,

20. MetallicAcid

Sponsored by

[​IMG]

Update No.13
    My lucky number, and final update!

Hello my friends!

In this update, I am proud to present to you the posting of the Redefine project, and the final photoshoot of this beastly machine. I am very happy and sad to see this project complete as I have had a blast working with this chassis, all the products and various materials. I cannot say that everything went problem free though as I had some driver issues and software problems to deal with which took 3 days of my life, wasted on trying to get this system up and running.

I am happy to report that everything is now working perfectly, and I have installed Windows 10 Preview and played a few rounds of Battlefield Hardline.! :) BTW if anyone wants to have a match on BF4 or BFH please add me at metallicacid_01

But before I get on with the image onslaught, I would like to take this moment to thank my sponsors who have giving their time and products to make this project come to life. Without your support, I would not be able to create these projects that I love to create! Thank you to:

Inet
    Corsair
    ASUS
    Ultimate Personal Computer
    Dremel

So firstly I want to show you some awesome custom engraving made by the owner of this project, Jens. He is magical :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the cable routing from behind to the front:

[​IMG]

White painted Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM installed:

[​IMG]

Redefined H100i hotwired to another PSU as I didn't have a second SATA power cable handy.. And the machine posting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jens working on some more engravings, and a Corsair badge be made:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final images taken on location where I work, and modded:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final images at home in the kitchen :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really hope that you all have enjoyed this projects' build log, and the finished resulting PC. It has been a pleasure working on the chassis, and having all of you joining me once again in creating another custom project!

For those of you wanting to know what is next, I have a few projects in the works, and hope to start with a personal HTPC project right away. Once I have some more confirmed information, I will set up a build log and inform you all where you can find me ;)

That is it for now, and thank you for following. I hope to see you again in the next project!!

Kind regards,