1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other first boot - display goes in to standby when booting windows (SOLVED)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by adam_bagpuss, 5 Dec 2022.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Not sure if you missed it ealier but if i boot ubuntu from a USB i have the exact same problem which indicates this is not a windows problem. Seems like your suggestion relates directly with how windows boots.

On a side note ive logged a ticket with Scan now and this is looking like an RMA but they may not find anything ?

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I scanned through the thread and this didn't jump out, so apologies if I missed it...

You said this started happening after an upgrade - what parts did you upgrade? Have you tried swapping back to your previous configuration and swapping in new parts one-by-one? Just booting a live Linux USB would be enough, as you've already been doing.

I had a similar situation when I upgraded my other half's PC not long ago: only intermittently got a display on boot up. I even went as far as fishing out an internal speaker and hooking that up because the board didn't have any diagnostic LEDs/display. Beeps indicated a display issue, but swapping to my known-good GPU resulted in the same error. Even when I swapped EVERYTHING back to her previous configuration I had the same problem: intermittent display output and angry beeps when it didn't work. In desperation I swapped to a different monitor and it worked perfectly every time; tried using DisplayPort on the original monitor instead of HDMI and, again, it worked perfectly every time. Turns out the fscking monitor I was originally using wouldn't auto-switch inputs correctly; the graphics card was not detecting a display connected so the whole thing sat in a corner crapping itself refused to POST because of a video error.

3. adam_bagpuss

the upgrade was 2 parts. The motherboard which is a gigabyte B550 DS3H and WD 2TD Nmve drive. All other parts were working perfectly fine before the upgrade which was done on a fresh install. Since the PC works perfectly once booted i highly doubt this is nmve drvie problem and ubuntu on USB does the same.

Unfortunately i cant switch back as ive sold my old motherboard. I've tried all different inputs on GPU and monitor with the same problem.

The problem isnt even intermittent i can replicate with 100% success by either leaving my PC off for a while and the first boot always loses display or if i turn off the power PSU let the power drain out of the system and turn it back on same display problem. As soon as i turn it off/on again works perfectly.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Can you tell which revision of the DS3H you've got? It should be on the label on the motherboard box. If it's 1.4, there's a different bios. Just a thought, just in case.

5. adam_bagpuss

good thought but its a 1.x not a 1.4. Not sure what they changed as theeres no info on it. Mine however was a 1.1 to 1.3 version.

Gigabyte support couldn't replicate the problem and Scan support were unable to help either so they raised an RMA. fingers crossed they find it and i can have a a replacement board. If not and they ship it back still doing it im not sure where i stand or what the issue could be ?

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Obviously I have little knowledge of almost anything, but I'm confident that if it doesn't work when returned your consumer rights must prevail to the point where you can request a replacement under "not fit for purpose" or similar, because the item itself isn't working (regardless of personal system setup).

7. adam_bagpuss

and this is even if Scan test it and it works fine with no cold boot issue? I havent had to in all my years building PCs had to RMA something that wasnt outright DOA

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

@adam_bagpuss - did you fix your issue in the end? Distance Selling Regs should have covered you as well (although you may actually have been outside of the timeframe there).

9. adam_bagpuss

RMA wasnt tested by the looks just refunded as they didnt have the same board

ordered one from ebuyer. just got back online and first test SAME problem WTF!

massively annoyed as it pointed to a mobo issue. The only other things now are PSU, GPU or CASE ??? None of these are new though and worked fine on my last board ! was thinking maybe faulty USB header on case ? ill give it a whirl and disconnect just to see, im seriously out of ideas now

EDIT - tried case USBs nothing. still have the exact same issue?

Last edited: 13 Jan 2023
  10. adam_bagpuss

Problem fixed !!!!

New psu, bought a 750w thermaltake smart bm2.

When looking online from a gpu perspective came across amd forum thread with the same issue specifically on 6600xt. The overall consensus was that some conflict with psu standby power and voltage applied from a cold on. People couldnt seem to agree the exact cause only that this effects some PSU and 6600xt combinations.

Just bizarre this only occurred after a mobo upgrade so that must be involved somehow withbthe voltage getting to the gpu

wyx087 and adidan like this.