1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice First Build, final decision

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bituser, 8 Dec 2011.

1. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Hi,

I have made a few threads now regarding the construction of this computer, but I think I am finally ready to make a final decision. Can you please browse over my list of components and see if you can spot any compatibility issues etc. I am $100 over budget so if you can spot anything that is unnecessary then please tell me. The PC will be used for Video Encoding, 3D rendering, 1080p gaming, Photoshop and Web Design.

HDD - Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green (Once again, HDD shortage, faster comes later)
    GPU - Sapphire 6950 2GB
    CPU -Core i5 2500k
    MOBO - ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen 3
    PSU Corsair 850W Pro Series
    RAM - Kingston HyperX 1600mhz 2 x 4gb
    Monitor - 23" Dell IPS
    Case - Antec Eleven Hundred

Thanks guys,

Sam

2. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

The 850W PSU is a bit over the top. A 550W should do the job. A Antec Truepower New is worth taking a look at.

3. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Hi, I may add another Radeon 6950 later on as well as over clock the 2500k. Would a 550 still be sufficient?

4. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

5. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

I just want to be careful with the PSU thats all. If a couple of other people could confirm the 850W down to 650W then I will go for it. I just want to triple check so I don't have to purchase another PSU because I screwed up :p.

I know what you mean about the HDD, but there really isn't any other option at this stage. I need the space.

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

If you can afford the 850 and it isnt too much of a premium over other parts then I would stick with it.

I think the pros still carry a 7 year warranty and if you are adding another card in the future it will cover everything easily.

Quality kit.

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

You could go mATX? Replace the Motherboard with a Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z and the case with a Silverstone TJ08-E which would save you £50 looking at UK prices for what is arguably better hardware.

Would you really go crossfire in the future or just buy a better single card?

8. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Fair enough.

Xbit Labs have tested the HD6950 and found that it draws 164W when 3D gaming. If you allow another 200W for an overclocked i5 2500K and 50-75W for HDD, chipset memory etc that brings you to a total of around 440W.

If you did add another 6950 you would probably want a min of a 650W PSU, however by the time you upgrade your graphics chances are that there will be a HD7950 or HD8950 which will outperform a pair of 6950s in crossfire.

9. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

In regards to the Maximus, I don't think it suits my situation as I will probably crossfire two cards. I will most likely add more PCI cards such as TV tuners and USB ports etc. I don't think that I could use a mATX.

@tonpal. Thanks for that. I will probably just stick with the 850, or jump down to 750.