1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice First build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yamin151, 12 Feb 2010.

1. yamin151

yamin151 It all started with the 464!!!

Budget: £800, which must include monitor and OS

Main uses of intended build: Gaming/internet

Parts required: I have been looking into building my first desktop for sometime now, but I am finding all the information a little overwhelming.

I have decided then to use this months affordable all rounder as my blueprint. I would be very grateful for any input/comments or advice anyone may have.

Graphics card: GeForce GTS 250 512MB or Radeon HD 4770 512MB
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250
    Motherboard: MSI 770-C45
    Memory: 4GB 1,333MHz CI9 DDR3
    Chasis: Antec Three Hundred
    PSU: Corsair CX400W PSU
    Cooler: Asaka AK0876
    Optical: DVD-RW SATA Optical drive
    Storage: 2 x 500GB SATA 3Gbps Hard Drive

Previous build information (list details of parts): Currently using laptop.

Monitor resolution: I would like 1920 res but should I settle for less for now and upgrade at a later point?

Storage requirements: 1TB min. Should I split this or have one drive?

will you be overclocking: Would like to in the future, but not necessarily with this system.

2. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

The affordable allrounder is a good starting point. I would suggest a few changes though:

Graphics card: Radeon HD 5770 - £130
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 - £70
    Motherboard: MSI 770-C45 - £50
    Memory: 4GB 1,333MHz CI9 DDR3 - £80
    Chasis: Antec Three Hundred - £40
    PSU: Corsair CX400W PSU - £40
    Cooler: Stick with the stock cooler.
    Optical: DVD-RW SATA Optical drive - £20
    Storage: Samsumg F3 500GB - £40

That lot comes in at just under £600 which would leave £200 for the monitor.
    If you wanted to up the spec to a Core i5 750 it would cost an extra £80 or so.

3. yamin151

Thank you, thats very useful. Would upgrading to the corei5 give me much greater performance?

4. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

The performace of the i5 750 is considerably better than the Phenom II X2 550. The Core i5 750 is a quad core, it processes more instructions per cycle and it overclocks better.

The thing to bear in mind is that when using it with a HD5770 the limiting factor is most prbably the graphics card so although you may have a great CPU it is not necessarily always working to its full potential

Last edited: 12 Feb 2010
  5. dec

dec [blank space]

6. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

At its current price Core i3 is really a waste of time. You will be paying £50-60 for no more performance and all you will gain is the opportunity to trade up to a CPU that will be virtually obsolete in a few years time when you are ready to update.

If you particularly want an i5 750 get one now, don't piss about with a core i3.

7. yamin151

case

Thank you both for your advice.

Bearing in mind I will want to upgrade as I can afford it, would it be worth paying a little extra now and getting a better case now, eg antec 902?

Another 'stupid' question... would I need to have a wireless card for internet use if this PC was not going to be attached directly to my landline (almost embarrased to have to ask this one!)

Last edited: 13 Feb 2010
  8. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Cases, power supplies and monitors are the components that are most likely to be kept when upgrading a computer so when you do replace then it is worth spending a bit more to make sure you have something that will last.

It is possible to get motherboards with built in wifi however they tend to be the more expensive boards. For a more modest built the best option would be to buy a PCI/PCIe wireless card. I would suggest 11n if your router/AP can support it.