1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking First OC Attempt

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hixin, 8 Mar 2008.

1. Hixin

Hixin What's a Dremel?

Ok so i've took the dive and tried my hand and overclocking.

Result might be laughable but it is forst attempt so far, and I intend to try and push it alot more than this.

CPUZ Validation

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=326447

Air Cooled with vCore @ 1.360 with 45C Load Temps after 2 hours Prime95

Roughly 26% increase so far

Will this cope with more?

2. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Should do easily. Mine will do about 3.4Ghz. Basically a case of more speed and voltage till it hits a loaded temp of around 55C in my books. I'd say most of these chips will do 3Ghz without much trouble

RwD

3. Hixin

Hixin What's a Dremel?

Well tried pushing it abit more but no go.

Got a feeling it my crappy 266 memory. Once FSB go past the 340 mark Vista bombs out with bluescreen just after the vista boot screen.

Next thing on shopping list is definately decent memory, i've well and truely caught the OC bug now. :rock:

CPU seems to be voltage happy too, tried bumping it to 1.55v and idle temps in Bios HW monitor seemed fine. (From what i'd imagine them to be anyhow still getting a feel for whats acceptable, etc...)

4. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Is there no way on that board to unlink the ram speed and fsb? My 680i has a 'linked' or 'unlinked' option. Means you can leave the ram stock.

RwD

5. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Only the nForce 600/700 series and the AMD/ATI RD600 support unlinked memory, Intel chipsets support memory dividers of 1:1 at minimum.

6. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Have you tried a 5:4 or higher FSB:RAM ratio; this will allow the CPU to clock higher while keeping the RAM clocks lower.

7. Hixin

Hixin What's a Dremel?

Im guessing that'll be Memory Frequency in the bios for that.

Description gives me the indication that its set to change automatically with the FSB. Plus you can change FSB and Mem seperate using Easy Tune so theres bound to be an option in the bios.

I'll check that out sometime tonight. :thumb:

NOTE:

Also doesnt running in Async run hotter?

8. Hixin

Hixin What's a Dremel?

Well it's doing alot better after I messed about with ba few things in the bios.

And board doesnt allow to unlink fsb:mem. :worried:

It has an option for DRAM DLL which I changed to Option 2, description was pretty much "This option when overclocking may help if DRAM fails to overclock.", so guessing that changes the ratio or something???

Anyhow, this is the point so far so, looks promising to me! :clap:

[​IMG]

9. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

So you have a P31 chipset and DDR 4200, yes its behind the times but for older-ish hardware im sure you'd be able to crank it up more.

BTW your last pic cant been seen as its too small.

My E2160 is at 3Ghz without and help of volts and its passive. So make sure you push it higher.

10. Hixin

Hixin What's a Dremel?

Sorry about last pic, web host is down so i'm resorting to imageshack and though the "resize" option only applied to the image in posts.

Here it is again, even though I have gone past this stage already! :clap:

[​IMG]

So, got past that speed now. Got it running by upping the vDimm to 2.1v, these modules are cheaper than cheap and their running fine at this point, always good im guessing.

That got me to the 380 mark, so tried upping the MCH voltage by 0.2v, so now i've got the memory running at 416MHz.

Giving me this.

[​IMG]

This is running at 2912.19GHz, with vCore of 1.504v (6300 only rated at 1.5v should I be worried?) and idle temps of 42C on Core0, and 43 on Core1. Gonna need more cooling :rock:

Tags: