1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice *First time build Woes*

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Caspian Rho, 25 Aug 2010.

1. Caspian Rho

Caspian Rho What's a Dremel?

HI having a big problem...... no output to monitor (outside of case testing). I'll run through the contents of the build

Motherboard: Asus P6t SE
    CPU: i7 930
    Memory: 6gb (3x2) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (CMX6GX3M3A1600C9)
    PSU: Antec True power 650
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
    Hardrive: Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Graphics Card: GeForce 9500 GT
    Monitor: LG Flatron W1941S

|Connected everything up as far as I can see, turn power on fans kick in on the cpu cooler, psu fan spins away. Northbridgee etc show signs of heat after a while (warm not hot) but there is no signal being output to the monitor.

Tried each of the memory sticks in A1 only to see if it was a bad stick, still no output to the monitor. The card is a GeForce 9500 GT, I haven't plugged anything into the card because apart from an audio out and a small connector at the bottom which I take to be S/PDIF I don't see any plugs and I presume it's powered directly off the board (but i really don't know)

The hardrive shows signs of reading too, so i assume thats the board looking for stuff and not just being powered properly.

I don't know if the cpu is working or not or how to tell, and I'm not sure if the board is maybe faulty, but it powers everything plugged into ok. ALso I hear no beeps at all of any kind....

I also reset the cmos by removing the battery for at least 10 seconds.

I'm not sure where to start to troubleshoot so any help would be brilliant... thanks! Both Monitor and Graphics card have been tested in my old PC and work fine and the card with no additional plugs just off the board!

Last edited: 25 Aug 2010
  2. Caspian Rho

additional, removed the system warning speaker from my old system and put it on the front panel headers for speaker and still no beeps with and w/o memory and graphics installed...

3. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm also having trouble built on an Asus motherboard, an asus p5n-e sli. My build is almost three years old but I'm having similar problems to what you are having. Perhaps there is something in my thread that may help you?

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=193202

I'm starting to suspect that it's the board that has developed a fault, though I'm not certain yet.

Hope you can get it sorted soon.

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Does the mobo have onboard graphics so you can atleast plug the monitor into the I/O rear panel and see if you get any signs of life that way? It only took an upside down case speaker/beeper plug to prevent my build from working properly the 1st time I powered it up, so have a thorough check of all those little plugs on the mobo too..

5. Caspian Rho

No, no onboard to try out. I haven't changed any jumper settings or anything like that. Just read sometimes motherboard manufacturers disable CMOS to save the motherboard battery and it won't boot with CMOS off.

That might the problem, so I'll check that in the morning.. I can't find what way the system beeper speaker should plug into the pins either. is it red wire into the speaker and black to the 5v or the other way around?

6. Caspian Rho

well moved the jumpers on the CLRTC, took out the battery, left it for 10 minutes and put them back to normal. No beeps with just the motherboard and cpu and psu connected.

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

On Asus boards you need to use A2, B2 & C2 first if not it won't boot

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Asus P6T Manual page 2-12.

Due to Intel CPU spec definition, the system will not boot if only one DIMM is installed in DIMM slot A2, B2 or C2

9. Caspian Rho

this line confuses me, and I didn't try any other dimm slots than th A1,B1,C1 configuration... anyway that line confuses me somewhat, I took that it doesn't run only one memory module in the diimm_2 so would have to out-fit it with the 2 or 3....

Would lack of a bios update on the board give the same signs?

10. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

Have you tried booting it with 2 sticks of RAM installed?

11. Caspian Rho

I tried each stick individually on A1 and because it was a 3x kit no i haven't tried just the 2. I'll give that a shot now. I'm not going to plug in graphics or anything yet until i'm getting beeps on the system warning speaker.

If i have no cpu in the hole (i'm sure there's a better term for it) will the board beep if it's working or no?

**EDIT**

2 sticks don't make any beeps, 3 sticks in A2, B2 and C2 doesn't make any beeping/warning noises either.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2010
  12. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You need the cpu to be fitted (with a heatsink)

13. Caspian Rho

as said in the first post i#m using a corsair H50 which is working properly!!

what I meant was if I remove the cpu from the board would the board still make a beep (hardware component failure)

14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If you take the cpu out generally a board will not boot enough to even give you a warning.

15. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

Are you sure the VGA card sits properly in the slot?

I have tested many computer parts the same way for years and believe me most common problem was lack of connection in AGP or PCI-e slots. Try to use a rubber band to push the card towards I/O ports.

16. Caspian Rho

What's more worrying is lacks of beeps from the system warning speaker. Actually guys even though the board supports DDR 3 XMS Corsair memory I can't find that particular model (CMX6GX3M3A1600C9) number on the manual accredited memory list. Should I replace it with a some COrsair memory from the board list or should it work anyway?

17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Have you tested the GPU because I had a system a while that wouldn't boot no beebs and it turned out to be the GPU.

18. Caspian Rho

GPU works fine on my current system as does the monitor so it's definitely not that. ALso the PSU is powering this brilliantly and seems to be working well!

19. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

What to do when you run out of ideas?
    - did you connect any fan to the CPU fan connector? (sometimes it may cause problem if you leave it unoccupied)

20. Caspian Rho

The connector for the pump was into the cpu fan header and the fan for the radiator was into the pwr fan