1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling First Water Cooling Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snipes0990, 25 May 2006.

1. Snipes0990

Snipes0990 What's a Dremel?

I have never done anything with watercooling and this in my opinion is the best place to find out how to do it because everybody is soo friendly, this setup will be for my friends new rid, Asus A8N SLI deluxe, Athlon 4600 Dual Core, 4gigs Corsair XMS 3200, 2x 7900 GTX 512mb gfx card (SLI), Creative Audigy 2 ZS, PC Power & Cooling 510W PSU, Westerndigital Raptor 150g, Seagate 750g storage.
    His parents are buying it for his senior graduation and i told him i would help him with it, he is putting it in a Lian Li PC-V2000B and didnt want to do any actual modding to it because of the price so i was wondering if he could put in 2- 120mm radiators as opposed to one dual 120mm radiator which is what i see most ppl use. any questions or comments that would steer me in the right direction would be extremely appreciated. here is a crappy pic that i made to sort of explain what i am talking about [​IMG]
    at the moment i was looking at these

Pump: http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-pmp-09.html
    CPU BLock: http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-229.html
    GPU Block: http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-236.html
    RAd x2: http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-rad-10.html

I havent decided on a res or anything else so suggestions would be great, but please let me know if this config would even work.
    It wont be placed in the case the way it is drawn but the order will be the same, also with a fillport :clap:

2. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

i wouldn't use a split loop it won't work properly unless the tubes are directly the same angle to each other, i would go - res, pump, rad 1, cpu, gpu 1, rad 2, gpu 2 then res. or
    res, pump, rad 1, cpu, rad 2, gpu 1, gpu 2 then res.

Ed

3. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

also go for a pump with more grunt and stick to the same bore size your pump is 10mm and the rest of your setup is 1/2" use a DDC or a DDC Plus :) will shift the water a bit quicker.

morgan.

4. koola

koola Minimodder

I beg to differ. The Innovatek Eheim HPPS is a great pump and well capable of shifting water through 1/2", 3/8" or 10mm setup. The only option I can see with going with a DDC is the space it saves.

5. Fab

Fab What's a Dremel?

With a loop like that i would take a higher flow pump. At least something with 1,000lph.

6. Snipes0990

Ok well i am still trying to figure out what i want to do with the loop (thanks for your suggestions) but i need help deciding which pump to get

http://www.sharkacomputers.com/aqcoaqmoeh10.html

http://www.sharkacomputers.com/eh12cewapu31.html

http://www.sharkacomputers.com/eh10watpum.html

i know the 1250 gets the hightesr g/h but i dont really know if it is over kill, also would the loop work if i did: Pump -> Rad 1 -> Rad 2 -> CPU Block -> GPU Block 1 -> GPU Block 2 -> Res -> back to Pump ?

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Don't bother with spliting the loop.
    It doesn't make any performance increase, and could infact lessen it.

The 1250 is never overkill ;) I have one!
    Awesome pump, just make sure you understand how big they are. And get it padded+screwed down.
    Once its secure, it'll be silent as a mouse.

If you don't wanna go with a mains pump, i'd get a D5. Slightly louder than silent but still good. And 12v.

And not sure if it was answered, two rads is no problem, I ran that in the past fine.
    Should perform about the same as a dual rad.

Loop order doesn't matter too much, just make sure you go Res>Pump. You should really do this to avoid killing your pump. (yes killing ;))
    After that, go for whatever is easiest to route in. Or what looks nicer. Depends what your after.

Hope that helps :)

8. Snipes0990

Yes that helps alot (thanks) but is that aqua computer pump any good, the flow rate doesnt seem that large but i have seen alot of mods with it?

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The Aqua Computer pump is a modified Eheim 1046 that has the flowrate of roughly a 1048. It's superb for small-bore loops, but you're asking for trouble in a 3/8" or larger setup.

10. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I had a similar setup and you'll get very adequate flow with that.

Recommendations for what to do.

#1 Get a dual outlet cpu block (rbx if you wanna stick with DD)
    #2 do the loop like this

pump> RBX>Radiator 1>GPU1>Res>pump
    __________>Radiator 2>GPU2>

In your case it doesnt matter where you place the radiators because you're going to get the same cooling. If you use the RBX you'll get better cooling that's designed to split the loop. Also if you split the loop at the waterblock you may want to run 3/8th's hose until you get back to the res.

Another way to do it is this:

pump>RBX>GPU1>GPU2>Res>Pump
    _________>Rad1>Rad2>

I strongly reccomend the decrease in tubeing size. I feel it will help you out. Also remember that it doesnt matter where the radiators are in the loop. I've tested this firsthand and it doesnt affect performance. Once the water gets heated it will remain pretty much at a constant.

11. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

people use it alot in mods because of the FMJ and because ehiems have a good name for being quite. The MCP350 would be a better choice for whate you are after. Also it seems like you are going with almost all dangerden equiptment. If that's the case then get it directly from the site. It's much cheaper. (PM me I have a cupon code for 20% off that'll help you too)

12. Snipes0990

Thanks that also helps, so what size tubing would you recommend and also at the moment my friend decided not to get sli to cut the cost about 600 $$ so it wil ljust be a cpu and gpu block in the loop

13. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I've read in several places that its not the flow rate thats important for WC pumps, more the pressure (head) the pump can provide as its the pressure drop over all the componants that determines how the flow will move. High flow rate pumps don't always have a good head, and so make sure you keep this in mind when selecting the pump, especially as your loop looks like its going to have a lot of flow restricters in it.

As for having two single rads, the only difference you will see is a slight (and i mean slight) increase in the pressure drop across them. Have you thought about maybe having two seperate loops (maybe with a shared res if necessary) A pair of C-systems mag pumps are pretty damn small and should be good enough for a single rad, 1 or 2 blocks in a loop. That way you'd keep the warmer gpu block loop seperate from the cpu loop and should net lower cpu temps overall. You could use either one or two fillports instead of a res which would keep the install pretty simple and take up less room than a bayres or similar.

14. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

Like Fire said, the Innovatek HPPS is an Eheim 1046 with the head pressure of a 1048. While it does have a mode that will change the flow to that of a 1048 and ups the head pressure to almost DDC levels, I would skip it for something beefier.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

1. Don't split the loop. I mean, really, don't. It kills your flow and causes complications, without any benefits whatsoever.

2. Pump, schmump. A DCC D5 will do you nicely for this setup.

3. Examine the Swiftech Storm in favour of the Danger Den TDX. The increased price is worth it.

4. Plan your loop carefully --it will get busy in that case. Any order goes, as long as the res is the last item before the pump inlet.

Go with 3/8" ID tubing if necessary, which will still fit nicely over 1/2" barbs (dunk the end in hot water for ten seconds first and slide it over) and will offer practically the same performance at less space requirement (you can bend the tubing in slightly tighter curves). Whatever you pick, make sure it is thick walled (3mm or 1/8" wall thickness, not 1.5mm or 1/16" wall thickness) or it will be at incresed risk of kinking and collapsing.

Tags: