1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Flex Raid on a ReadyNAS NV+

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [PUNK] crompers, 14 Sep 2015.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Is Flex RAID possible on this box?

I have 2 500GB drives and 2 1TB drives, no money to upgrade drives at the moment and I'd like to use as much storage as possible while keeping redundancy.

Essentially I'd like one 500GB RAID-1 volume and one 1TB RAID-1 volume, I don't have the box yet as I'm thinking of buying one from a mate in work.

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The support X-RAID (eXpandable RAID) & multiple RAID sets if that's what you mean

3. [PUNK] crompers

I'm new to NAS stuff but as I understand it X Raid only allows you to have one volume per box?

By multiple RAID sets do you mean there is an option to have 2 volumes on one box?

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You can do a RAID 1 array on the 500GB's & a RAID 1 array on the 1TB drives.

or you could do a RAID 5 on the whole 4 drives, that'd still give you 1.3-1.4TB usable space & you could use x-RAID to swap drives out when you've got spare money to increase the space available

5. [PUNK] crompers

Option 2 sounds perfect but this seems to disagree? (not being difficult, I just want to understand what is possible and there seems to be conflicting info all over the web)

http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=6239

EDIT: Apologies I've done some more reading on RAID 5, thanks for your help

Last edited: 14 Sep 2015