1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice FM2+ Mini-itx build advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vesperan, 28 Nov 2014.

1. Vesperan

Vesperan What's a Dremel?

Hello

I would appreciate comments on a build that I've been thinking about for a while. Its purposes are low end - some transcoding via handbrake and light gaming. Toddlers and gaming don't mix I'm afraid.

I have built a few PCs before. My current build is being passed on to the in-laws to replace a very aged Socket 754 Athlon 64.

A few points of note:
    - I am in New Zealand. This means many parts you may have access to simply aren't available here. Point in case: the mini-ITX Gigabyte FM2+ board is the only mini-ITX FM2 board in the country. www.pricespy.co.nz shows what is here.
    - I've always built AMD, and after a lot of thought I'm going to stick with them. They might be getting slaughtered, but I'm all for the little guy. Given I am aiming for a small cheap build, I am opting for an FM2 APU rather than AM3.
    - I'm happy with AMD integrated graphics - figure I can always slot in a graphics card later.

So anyway, the parts I am looking at, using PCPartPicker as it works:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A8-7600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($97.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($82.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($112.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: EVGA Hadron Mini ITX Tower Case w/500W Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $503.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-28 14:20 EST-0500

My thoughts, questions and questions -
    1. Does this build work? Any known issues with the motherboard, case, cooler working together?
    2. I would prefer the A10-7800 but am really struggling on the price/performance front for that one.
    3. I wont be overlocking, so am looking to get the 2133 speed memory, balancing off cost and timings.
    4. The case - definitely the biggest thing I am on the fence about. Am open to suggestions.
    5. The cooler - I'm looking for better than stock, but fits the case and cheap. Quiet is important too.
    6. Not planning on an optical drive

And before someone says it, yes I could go with something like a Pentium G3258 and a low-mid end graphics card. Trying to stick with AMD though!

Many thanks in advance!

Other things:
    Budget - no set budget, I have the money but no desire to spend more than I have to.
    Main uses of intended build: small amount of transcoding, relatively light gaming.
    Parts required: As above - all components of a desktop PC
    Previous build information (list details of parts): N/A as it all being given away, but it was an Athlon X2 250 with Radeon 5750
    Monitor resolution: 1980x1080
    Storage requirements: 250 gig is fine - just used for gaming and some light (cloud files) storage
    Will you be overclocking: no
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): nothing major. USB3 headers and back ports.
    Extra information about desired system: see above - small, quiet.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2014
  2. AridTalons

AridTalons What's a Dremel?

If you're happy with it I'd say go for it. Everything looks fine and you did well with the price