1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding on Servers

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Simnol, 10 Nov 2010.

1. Simnol

Simnol What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a problem,

Back Story:

I work in a Data Centre for a Web Hosting Provider in the UK, we have a lot of clients and a lot (a lot!) of servers, including a lot of servers that are "new in" or yet to be sold on to clients.

The other day I confronted my boss with the idea of folding during a one to one meeting, he agreed that it was an interesting idea (once I'd explained to him what it actually was) and he was more than willing to listen to my idea, which was basically to turn the currently unsold servers in to folding rigs until such a point as they are given to customers.

He has tasked me with drawing up a plan for it and putting it forward to his boss and his boss's boss (the head of the company).

So Far:

My idea was to have something simple like a cobbler server that automatically installed the servers once they're racked up.

Installed with a variation of Linux (a bare bones one) with a small script that would download the folding clients and adjust it to the number of cores (ranging from 4 to 12 per server.)

So:

Does this idea sound feasible and can anyone see any problems with it or lend me a hand as I really don't know what I'm doing.

I'm not a programmer or a software engineer (hardware all the way baby!), but at the minute I'm the only one interested enough at my company to attempt the task.

P.S. I was also going to do my darnedest to recommended joining ol' group 35947

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I don't know a whole lot about what your discussing, but I wouldnt mention the concept of teams at all. That way you can just use your username for our team :)

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

4. fir3x

fir3x fir3x

Your setup is sound.
    You say you don't know what your doing.
    May i suggest trying out the solution on a test system/network before putting the project forward. there maybe something you have missed. Also if they green light it you have all the setup systems ready and can begin folding straight away.

Further on once you have a test system up. use IPMI to monitor the hardware temps etc. its free and it will be a good early warning system that a server may burn out(which will kill your folding ambitions instantly and maybe your job).