1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding For all those wishing to mod a laptop LCD

Discussion in 'Modding' started by wharrad, 25 Jan 2005.

1. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

There's always someone asking if they can use their laptop LCD with their PC. The same answer "Too much hassle/expense" is always used.

Just bought myself another monitor and whilst having a look at ultramon (recommended by people here) - I noticed this software...

Maxivista

You'll have to have the monitor in one piece.... but it solves all the problems with finding another controller! :baby:

P.S. Sorry if it's already well known

2. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Cool link, thanks :thumb: . Hadn't heard of that before, I'll have to give it a whirl.

3. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

now comes a use for my amazing desk that has three networked computers side by side! Hellooo 7 monitor goodness :hip:

4. kobaj

kobaj Banned

It only suports 4 moniters, And I was the very first to bring that to bit-tech :D .

5. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

cooli have been looking for something like this

6. McGuinness

McGuinness Banned

Win98SE supports up to 9 monitor's.

7. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Ahhhhaa, seen this before but forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me, got it set up with my old P90 lappy, must say its fairly spiffy :thumb: Refresh is a little slow but that may be the network. I take it stuff like ultramon would work with it, as it presents itself as a physical monitor?

8. XxKrNxStyLeZxX

XxKrNxStyLeZxX What's a Dremel?

Does this mean the laptop has to work?? I have a laptop that doesn't work but I know the LCD is fine...

9. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

Would like to know this as well please. :idea:

Rob.

10. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

I have no idea, but I would be happy to give any LCD a home. I know that I would not be able to use a lappy LCD as a screen w/out a control board but I don't intend to use it as a 2nd monitor :D

I wanted to do some experiments that would pull together all of the work I have done so far on a few electronics projects. If I am successful I will be sure to post and let everyone know of a new use for lappy LCD. Of course I have only been able to do some basic testing and the LCD I was using was damaged, so I am unsure if the results I got were correct, or if it was a stroke of luck.

11. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Yes, as the link explains you need the laptop working and running Windows.

12. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Sorry for stealing any thunder!!! Just never seen it before, installed the demo and it's perfect!

Yeah, your laptop will need to run windows as far as I know..... it's running well over an 11MB wireless connection already!

13. kongen

kongen What's a Dremel?

Hmmm I am thinking somthing like this could be fun to play around with for those of us who ebay for cheap laptops like 15" screens on 133mhz processors. Maybe I will work on a custom stand that still has the laptop in it but looks like a monitor. Will have to give this some serious thought and perhaps some mysteries will be solved.

When you get this installed and running would you let us know how it performs anyone. What the speed of the laptop you used was and was there any delay on the screen? How the well refreshing worked etc... etc... I need fine print! :waah:

:thumb:

14. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Yea it's neat. There's another program that does a similar thing but you can actually use 3d on it. People have been using it for flight sims for years now. Too bad I can't remember the name.

15. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

ive seen a guy with a 15 monitor setup for a fligh sim before all lcds it must have cost alot and i cant remember the prog ethier

16. kobaj

kobaj Banned

Is there eny software like this but uses the serial port/ltp port/modem instead. And hopefully doesnt nead a os or even a hard drive.

17. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

I thought you were "the first to bring this to bit, plus it only supports 4 monitors", so why would you care?

My point being, I've seen you being hostile a lot, or just plain rude, and I'm getting quite tired of it. Think before you post...

/OT flame

Anyway, quite a cool program. A nice alternative to going to the trouble of a controller board.

18. kobaj

kobaj Banned

Ya I got it to bit, but its not my software. Hostile? When have I been hostile.

EDIT: Quote maxivista,"The free MaxiVista extension installs additional virtual VGA drivers to support up to three PCs to create a giant desktop space of up to 12,800x1,200 pixels" qoute can be found here http://maxivista.com/how.htm(scroll down)

Last edited: 28 Jan 2005
  19. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Yeah - for the person asking about performance...

Installed it on a 1.1Ghz P-M,,, so I know that's maybe over the top for people thinking of 133Mhz or whatever... but... I found the performance great, with the limiting factor being the 11Mb/s wireless LAN. Simply can't get more than 5Mb/s through that (and this software uses all that). So I'm going to stick my neck on the line and guess it'll be fine on slower computers as long as they're connected to 100Mbit LAN or a good wireless connection.

Oh, thinking about the max number of monitors/computers. I'm now am lucky enough to have 2 monitors on my main comp, with the third from my laptop. So I've got 3 screens from only 2 comps. Maybe if I connect another monitor to the laptop I'll have 4.
    With that in thought, couldn't you connect more than one screen to each of the computers and possibly get more than 10 screens? Even with a max of 4 comps.
    Ooo, I wish monitors weren't soo pricey to at least try this stuff out!

And yeah, I do remember seeing someone with all those screens for flight sim... wondered at the time how they did that. Now you mention something, it's hit me in the face!!!

20. kongen

kongen What's a Dremel?

Nice I am thinking about buying a small pallet of old laptops and making them into a desktop superscreen. I think it would be sweet playing something on those if they were linked like a MMORPG.
    I am able to see everything clearly and not squint plus with my eye site I bet I could sit back in the chair more and not lean forward as much. You can position these monitors right they don't have to go side by side they can control a portion of the screen right?

Oh man the only reason I want to do somthing like this is because I was in bestbuy today and they have at my local store a small wall tv display. Like from back when it was new technology. They have like 16 40inch tv's linked togethor so when you enter the store you can seee whats on the tube. :jawdrop: :dremel: :dremel: