1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Force Unleashed team downsized too

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Oh well, with that news goes any hope I had - no matter how unrealistic - of a new X-Wing or TIE game.

3. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Huh, dream on with that wish.

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

KOTOR3 please!....oh wait it's called Mass Effect.....

5. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

I just hope the game turns out good despite the layoffs. I was looking forward to this game, especially the prospect of maybe playing on the Wii!

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Get a gamecube and Star Wars Rogue Squadron II.. doesn't get any better than that as far as X-Winging goes.

7. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

come on, battlefront wasn't that bad

8. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

The game is pretty much done. Right now they are just bug fixing and adding polish. It should not affect it very much. It sucks that good devs have to loose their jobs. Console games are selling as good as ever yet companies still have to resort to layoffs? Sounds like bad management to me.

9. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I would love to see a new x-wing/tie fighter game, theres been a steep decline in the past few years of good space combat simulators.

10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yes. I used to live for two types of games: space combat sims and RTS games. Space combat sims as a genre seem to have died almost completely... the last one I can think of is X3 - and that is ages old. Freespace 2 is, and likely always will be, one of my favourite games of all time. It's graphics are still pretty good even now. Not seen anything do nebula effects better. The number of hours I put into TIE Fighter, too, was bordering on the scary - but the opportunity to fly as Darth Vader's wingman (before Star Wars became close to worthless with the prequels) was just too good to miss. 'Twas awesome. :D

Hm. I wonder if I can get Tachyon: The Fringe running again? That was a fun game - it had Bruce Campbell doing the voice acting in it, too, IIRC.

I've got a Gamecube, although I've barely touched it in the last year or more. Rogue Squadron II and III I've got, as well - I loved Rogue Squadron PC, but I was pretty bad at RS2&3 as I'm more at home with a proper joystick than a little thing on a controller. :)

And very little beats the X-Wing Collectors CD, TIE Fighter Collectors CD and X-Wing Alliance for Star Wars space combat games. :D Those three are the trinity of that genre. ;)

11. Timmy_the_tortoise

That's just got me thinking...

Is there a Star Wars mod for Flight Simulator X?

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well at least it's only on consoles, they don't need to produce patches. one hit, and probably miss

13. Timmy_the_tortoise

They don't need to.. But patches are often made mandatory downloads for 360 and PS3 games (well, not entirely sure about PS3 games.. but 360 definitely)... where as with a PC, patches are always released, but it's up to the user to make sure they're installed.

I suppose both systems have their benefits.

14. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

I love pretty much every game you listed, Freespace 1/2 and Tachyon are pretty much the top of that genre imho! Hopefully with Interplay reborn they'll do a Freespace 3!

15. donnie

donnie Moddin' my way out of a paper bag

My hopes of SW unleashed coming to the PC have been dashed to the ground, pity nut i suppose the tech behind the game will be licenced out to other games as i think npc's need to react realistically to their environment but no unleashed for me, blah.

16. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

If you wany X-Wing action, dust down the copy you must all have of X-Wing Alliiance as that is still pretty good, several mods to bring it upto date in terms of graphics.

But then Vista will happily play XwingvsTie Fighter :)

17. timmythemonkey

timmythemonkey Monkeymodder

It seems odd to me that even though they're laying off staff, earlier this year they were sending out recruitment reps from the US to the UK games career fairs in London to find new graduates looking for jobs.

The Force Unleashed is running late as it is already, and I'd have thought they'd want to get it finished, released and start making some of their cash back on the game... getting rid of developers doesnt seem the way to get that done. Hopefully it should be a quality game, but in a world where advanced features and good quality takes time to make, can they really compete with the casual gaming likes of Peggle and others, that could be completely done by a team of 5 in a couple of weeks? I hope so, but the way the industry is going at the moment my hopes are sinking.

Sucks that it isn't coming to the PC... guess I shall have to use it as my excuse to buy a 360 after all this time. Although what I dont get is the reason they gave in one interview for not releasing it on the PC was that due to the range in ability of systems most people would have to have the settings turned down which wouldnt provide the experience as it should be, yet they're releasing it on the DS and the PSP... are lucasarts trying to say that most PCs are less powerful than handhelds these days?

Just looked at TFU website... very flashy. Lucasarts should take note... less time on flashy website => more time on flashy game itself!
    (Good music though, hope the stuff in game is as good)

At least we know one member of the Lucasarts team is safe and sound... The Voodoo Lady has an "unbreakable five-game deal with Lucasarts". :D

Last edited: 28 Jun 2008
  18. rollo

rollo Modder

will wait for some reviews before buying this one. When was the last real good star ways game the orginal kotor would be my suggestion. Never really considerd the mouse and keyboard as a real setup for this sort of game. Controllers always work better

19. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

I'm just pissed that this Freaking game wont be PC playable!

Tags: Add Tags