1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Formatting question...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Immy, 11 Apr 2005.

1. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

Recently i just installed a new hard drive, first time i have ever added a hard drive to a system before. Everything is going fine but now i want to format C drive(windows) if i copy everything over that i want to keep to the new drive (d drive) after i format and reinstall windows on C drive will i still be able to acess all my files that i put on d drive? Or will the fresh install of windows not recognise the drive and ask me to quick format it aswel??

2. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

So, you want to re-install Windows on drive C? That will not affect any data files on drive D. The data will still be accessible, BUT re-installing Windows on C may destroy/damage registry entries and/or DLL files on drive C, so the software for reading the data files may not work any more.

I strongly suggest that you make an image backup of C (Symantec Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image) before you do anything else. You can store the image on drive D too.

3. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

If there is nothing on the new drive then formatting the new drive won't be a problem. I suggest formatting the new drive, sticking your stuff on there in a folder then installing windows without formatting on the new drive without the first drive in there so as to get the c: to be the new drive.

4. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

I want to format C... Full format.. then put xp pro back on it... The only files on my new drive (drive D) are mp3s, clips, movies... so they will still be there and will work fine, one i have reloaded xp pro onto the c drive ? correct?

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

If your are using XP then yes that will work fine, no mater if you use FAT32 or NTFS.
    Like you say copy the data to drive2, reinstall windows on drive1 and you will have access again to your files o drive2 .

6. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

I have another question... The last time i formatted and reinstalled windows, as soon as i connected to the internet to downlaod windows updates i was hit with the blaster worm and my pc kept shutting down. It was really annoying i had to get the fix from a friend and install it.. I checked microsoft.com and it doesnt let you download individual critical updates anymore.. Is there anyway around getting hit with the blaster worm as soon as my pc connects to the net for the first time just after i formatteD?

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

1. Yeh install a firewall before connecting.
    2. Download the msblaster fix, available from most antivirus sites (ie symantec) and save it to disk.

8. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

I had the same problem, real fun if you have only one computer at hand. I couldn't connect to the Internet to download any tools. I don't remember how exactly I "fixed" it.

Basically I intentionally damaged some files that the worm had generated:
    * while off-line delete worm generated file (got names from a friend over the phone)
    * create empty text file with Notepad
    * rename text file into deleted worm file
    That crashed the worm because it found the file and so didn't regenerate it, but it didn't know what to do with the empty file. It took several tries on different files to find one that really crashed the worm.

While the worm was crashed I could download all the removal tools for the real cleanup.

9. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

If it gets you before finding the patch, during the 60 second countdown type "shutdown -a" in the run box and it will cancel it allowing you to continue.

10. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

Would you mind linking me to the fix i just looked around the symantec site and could only find the removal tool no windows patch to fix it..

cheers

11. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

12. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link but as i said , it doesnt allow you to download the patch to fix the problem it just tells you how to remove it.. Any links to the actual patch please

13. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

yodasarmpit? anyone?

14. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

try visiting the links in the thread I showed you. There are links on those pages to the security update downloads. For instance:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...AE-A1BA-4D4A-B424-95D32CFC8CBA&displaylang=en

The links are all there, you just have to look for them.

15. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

i did check the links and looked around i seriously couldnt find it.. Thanks for your help :thumb:

Tags: