1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Foxconn Renaissance, what the hell is THAT?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChaosDefinesOrder, 30 Nov 2008.

1. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Ok, I can't seem to find something about this on the internet - looking around the x58 section of Scan.co.uk earlier I saw the Foxconn Renaissance. The question that I can't see the answer for (not even on Foxconn's website!) is what the hell is that thing bolted to the northbridge?

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000431 small pot-looking thing in the middle...

It looks like a speaker! is it really a system speaker bolted to the middle of a motherboard where a heatsink should be?

Is it really a fan of some sort? what the hell is it?:confused:

2. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

From what i know its a heatsink with a speaker-esk thing on top. Its purly for looks, the board has some sort of "digital life" theme.

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

looks gay

(please not, this is not a homophobic comment nor a dig at any homosexuals on the forum, the word is purely being used for descriptive reasons, thank you)

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

that's what I thought, but it looks like there's hardly any cooling surface area at all, seems strange!

5. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

And the southbridge cooler looks like a volume knob.
    One of those copper mods was going to use this board.

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It looks like it houses a fan.

7. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Nah, it's a copper heatsink, there is a heat pipe coming into it too. Unusual design but perhaps it actually keeps the NB cool!

8. ChaosDefinesOrder

yeah but the heatpipe could also be simply to take the heat away from the northbridge and drag it to the outside venting MOSFET cooler...

It's all well and good having a copper heatsink in there, but it's recessed behind a metal grill, and so there's going to be almost zero airflow due to the air coming in and out through the same opening!

Saying that, I like the layout and the colour scheme so am probably going to get one of these boards methinks!